none
Sharepoint 2007 Service Pack 2 / Cumulative Update install order RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.. We are currently running WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 at SP1 + Infrastructure update level.. when SP2 came out, we almost installed, and then were put off by the 'oh, by the way, 30 days after installation, you site may go down' bug.  Since then, we just haven't applied any updates to our environment.  Shame shame, I know.

The issue that I have now is that I need to upgrade our environment to the latest update level, which seems to be SP2 + April 2010 Cumulative upgrade.  This is four (4) different updates to apply to my two (2) servers. 

My concerns are:

1. Fixes/New bugs:  we have a lot of different workflows, external sites pushing data into/pulling from sharepoint, etc.. If I blow several hundred bug fixes into my environment, what level of comfort do I have that everything will continue to work afterwards?  (fyi, that level is nearly 0)
    2. Time:  It's gonna take a lot of it to do install 4 big updates on 2 servers, which means the site will be down for the duration, making me less popular than I feel I should be.

Here are my questions:

1. Do all updates have to be installed all at once?  Or, can I install WSS 3.0 SP2 and walk away, allow a week or two to lapse to make sure everything still works, and then install MOSS 2007 SP2, wait a week or two, install WSS 3.0 April 2010 update, wait a week or so, etc.? 
    2. If I run all the updates in the same maintenance window, do I need to:
      a.  Detach/Reattach the wss_content database for EVERY update, or only once at the end of all 4 updates?
      b.  Run the Sharepoint Configuration Wizard after EVERY update, or only once (on each server) at the end of all 4 updates?

I know my questions seem to contradict themselves, as I can't do both in the same scenario.. but I'm basically trying to decide how I want to proceed, and attempt to mitigate risk AND time where possible.

I am using the following URLs for my planning guidance, but I don't believe they answer my questions.. if they do, please forgive me:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb735839.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288269(office.12).aspx

Thanks!

Gabe

Gabriel Matthews Systems Engineer - QServices Co.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:07 PM

Answers

All replies