none
Apps for Office - Project 2013 - Traversing Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am exciting about the possibility of creating application for Project 2013. I am trying to create an application that will traverse through all tasks in the active project. I do not see any way to do this using the existing JavaScript library.

I am able to get the selected Task with GetSelectedTaskAsync.

I am able to get a task if I know the GUID with  GetTaskAsync.

I do not see a way to traverse all tasks.

P.S. I would like to be able to traverse all resources as well.

Thanks,

Dan

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hey Dan,

Right now there is no way to traverse all tasks or resources using our Apps for Office API. You are correct that OData is a great solution here if you can assume a Project Professional connection to Project Server or Project Online. Our new CSOM API would also work very well, but has the same restrictions.

Apps for Project were primarily designed for this client / server connection. We appreciate the feedback and I agree that this is an interesting scenario, so we will definitely consider it as a possible future improvement to our Apps for Office implementation.

Thanks!

Eli

• Marked as answer by Dan MacDonald Monday, August 27, 2012 12:12 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 4:38 PM

All replies

• Looks like this is possible using an OData query.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj163048(v=office.15).aspx

http://ServerName/ProjectServerName/_api/ProjectData/Projects(guid'263fc8d7-427c-e111-92fc-00155d3ba208')/Tasks

• Marked as answer by Dan MacDonald Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dan MacDonald Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:13 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:59 PM
  • My above answer will only work for enterprise project when a connection to Project Server exists. Is there any way to do this for a local project or when the client is not connected to Project Server.
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Dan,

I'm consulting this question internally, about how to access a local project. Please wait some time.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Hey Dan,

Right now there is no way to traverse all tasks or resources using our Apps for Office API. You are correct that OData is a great solution here if you can assume a Project Professional connection to Project Server or Project Online. Our new CSOM API would also work very well, but has the same restrictions.

Apps for Project were primarily designed for this client / server connection. We appreciate the feedback and I agree that this is an interesting scenario, so we will definitely consider it as a possible future improvement to our Apps for Office implementation.

Thanks!

Eli

• Marked as answer by Dan MacDonald Monday, August 27, 2012 12:12 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 4:38 PM