Intergrate BootStrap with LightSwitch RRS feed

• Question

• We typically build websites based on the bootstrap framework. Currently we are looking at using Light Switch as our application development tool and are wondering if it is possible to have light switch use bootstrap so that we can better control the look and feel of our applications, or is there a Microsoft alternative we should be looking at.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:09 PM

Answers

• here's a post about that:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ponderdotnet/archive/2013/07/09/lightswitch-and-the-enterprise.aspx

and the response from David Jung:

“The LightSwitch HTML Client controls are based on jQueryMobile. You can add bootstrap controls to a screen using Custom Controls and then create screen templates which are based on that. While this is technically possible it degrades the screen design experience and I am not sure whether I would recommend doing so. There might also be some conflicts arising between jQM and bootstrap. It seems like a lot of work and I wonder what the real underlying goal is. Would it be sufficient to restyle the jQM controls to look like bootstrap?”

HTH

• Proposed as answer by Simon Jones [MSDL] Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, August 8, 2014 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:24 PM
  • I had a need to display LS data in a bootstrap client and it really wasn't that hard.  Make your bootstrap html page, css, js, etc. in the LightSwitch server project, add a Web Api to get the data and return json, use JQuery or whatever you like to work with the data on the form.  Michael Washington explains a couple ways over here that might be even easier.  I was very satisfied with the results and will probably do more of this.  
    • Edited by Hessc Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:22 PM

All replies

• here's a post about that:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ponderdotnet/archive/2013/07/09/lightswitch-and-the-enterprise.aspx

and the response from David Jung:

“The LightSwitch HTML Client controls are based on jQueryMobile. You can add bootstrap controls to a screen using Custom Controls and then create screen templates which are based on that. While this is technically possible it degrades the screen design experience and I am not sure whether I would recommend doing so. There might also be some conflicts arising between jQM and bootstrap. It seems like a lot of work and I wonder what the real underlying goal is. Would it be sufficient to restyle the jQM controls to look like bootstrap?”

HTH

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:24 PM
  • I had a need to display LS data in a bootstrap client and it really wasn't that hard.  Make your bootstrap html page, css, js, etc. in the LightSwitch server project, add a Web Api to get the data and return json, use JQuery or whatever you like to work with the data on the form.  Michael Washington explains a couple ways over here that might be even easier.  I was very satisfied with the results and will probably do more of this.  
    • Edited by Hessc Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:22 PM