none
Microsoft, please support your early Kinect for Windows developers who actually made it to the market! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Early in 2012, Microsoft released the Kinect for Windows sensor for commercial use. I spent 2.5 years developing a Windows-based motion analysis app that I put on the market in September 2014. The product has been a true success in my chilly country up in northern Europe with about 40 units sold so far. My product has been praised by our local Microsoft representatives. As an example, I was invited to showcase the product together with them during their biggest developer event in October 2015. Six months earlier, Microsoft had decided to discontinue the Kinect for Windows and replace it by the Kinect v2 (Kinect for Xbox One + Windows adapter). 

So what's the big deal here? Why not simply adapt and convert to the Kinect v2? Old technology is constantly replaced by new. Well, in order to get complete 3D data, I need two sensors at an angle of 90 degrees both connected to the same computer. Problem is that the SDK 2.0 only supports one Kinect v2 per computer. It's been more than 1.5 years now since the release of the SDK 2.0 and I am loosing hope that there will ever be support for more than one Kinect v2 per computer. But that's not the only thing I'm losing, I'm also losing supply of the Kinect for Windows sensor since it is no longer available to buy. As you have guessed, this success story is reaching the end rapidly and at the same time, my product has just received attention from huge markets outside my country.

In pure desperation, I made a small experiment yesterday. I connected two Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors (essentially the same sensor as the Kinect for Windows) to my computer and tested them with my app. They work! They are still available to buy new! My business can continue and I can proceed expanding into new markets! Or can I? I can if Microsoft will approve commercial use of them under Windows. So I'm kindly asking Microsoft to allow me to use a Microsoft product connected to another Microsoft product.

Thanks for taking your time to read this,

Fredrik

Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:13 AM

All replies

• Feel sorry about your story.

Maybe it is easier to ask MS to support >1 Kinect 2 sensor and you can update your product.

May I know the name of your product? I am curious.

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:26 AM