SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot installation Issue: "SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint" option disappers thus can't be installed. No errors reported though. RRS feed

• Question

• During the install of SQL Server 2008 R2, I am at the below step:

1.Insert the installation media or open a folder that contains the setup files for SQL Server 2008 R2.

2.Run SQL Server Setup with administrator permissions. Right-click Setup.exe, and select Run as Administrator.

3.Click Installation on the navigation pane to the left.

4.Click New SQL Server standalone installation or add features to an existing installation.

5.In Setup Support Rules, click OK if no problems were detected. Otherwise, follow the instructions on the page to correct the problems and then restart setup.

6.In Product Key, specify the Enterprise Evaluation edition or enter a product key for a licensed copy of the Enterprise edition. Click Next.

7.Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms of agreement, and then click Next.

8.In the Setup Support Files page, click Install.

9.In the Setup Support Rules page, click Next if no problems were detected. Otherwise, follow the instructions on the page to correct the problems and then restart setup.
    10.In Setup Role, select SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint.

11.In the same page, in Add PowerPivot service to:, select New farm.

I go back to step six(6) to change my product type from EVALUATION and enter my product key and move to step 10 and "SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint" is no longer an option.  It isn't even displayed.  Therefore, I can NOT install SQL Server for PowerPivot.  I still continue the installation, but PowerPivot isn't installed.  I have repeated this in several environments on several boxes.  One doesn't even need to change anything, just go back a step and then forward and the option is no longer visible.

I have an environment where SQL Server Standard Edition with SSIS, SSRS, SSAS and SQL is installed along with SharePoint 2010 and another SharePoint 2010 FEW server.  I have SharePoint configured and wanted to install PowerPivot on bother servers and run EWA on 2010/SQL box and ECS and PowerPivot Services on the other 2010 box.  When I ran the SQL 2008 R2 install on the FEW server and did the same above outlined process (testing) I ended up in the same situation where "SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint" option disappeared.

WHY??  What can I do to rectify this issue?  Why has not Microsoft outlined a fix or indicated a warning not to do this whatever it may be?

I tried re-booting and re-running the installation, but the option is not longer available.  I can't get PowerPivot installed because the option ISN'T available.
    Any good advice?
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:43 PM

Answers

• Just to confirm, your product key is for SQL Enterprise or Developer correct?  If your key is for SQL Standard then that may be your issue.
    My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Any one figured out why its happening? I come across the same situation - I have a server with SQL server 2008, SP1, Enterprise edition (6bit) installed. And i am trying to configure PowerPivot for Sharepoint on an existing sharepoint server using the msdn document mentioned above by HALOX_69 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210616.aspx)

i am following exactly the same steps, as also mentioned above, and after the license terms it goes to the Feature Selection page. HOW CAN I SELECT THE SETUP ROLE SQL SERVER PWOERPIVOT FOR SHAREPOINT? also the feature list is not completely read-only.

Does it happen becase of the stand-alone sharepoint installation? if yes, how can i verify if my sharepoint installation is stand-alone or not? because i have got this server already been configured by the IT.

Please help.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:42 AM

All replies

• Just to confirm, your product key is for SQL Enterprise or Developer correct?  If your key is for SQL Standard then that may be your issue.
    My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Any one figured out why its happening? I come across the same situation - I have a server with SQL server 2008, SP1, Enterprise edition (6bit) installed. And i am trying to configure PowerPivot for Sharepoint on an existing sharepoint server using the msdn document mentioned above by HALOX_69 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210616.aspx)

i am following exactly the same steps, as also mentioned above, and after the license terms it goes to the Feature Selection page. HOW CAN I SELECT THE SETUP ROLE SQL SERVER PWOERPIVOT FOR SHAREPOINT? also the feature list is not completely read-only.

Does it happen becase of the stand-alone sharepoint installation? if yes, how can i verify if my sharepoint installation is stand-alone or not? because i have got this server already been configured by the IT.

Please help.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:42 AM
  • You need SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition. Your real version (SQL Server 2008 SP1 Enterpr. Ed.) is not enough.

Regards.

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:38 AM
  • You need to upgrade from your SQL 2008 R2 Standard Ediion to Enterprise Edition.

Regards

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:40 AM