Anyone else seriously disappointed that the AppStore doesn't solve any of the client software deployment issues?

All replies

• You are absolutely correct.

It's very sad that the desktop part of the store will basicly only contain links to websites.  I was hoping to see a deployment system for desktop applications, with updating capabilities - through the store.  Everybody who now deploys desktop applications relies on third party updating mechanisms or must write something of their own.  All it took was a new installing/updating process that could be regulated from the store.

I was also hoping that we could setup "private" stores with the new server, so that we could easily centralise software distribution in a "private" cloud within corporations.  It wouldn't really be a 'store' though...  More like a software repository.  That repository could then perhaps also be connected to the store (company buys software in store, downloads it to the repo and distributes it from there to the employees as needed).

That would have been neat.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Quote from post: "I am sure that you aware of the click ‘Yes’ –> click ‘Next’ –> click ‘Next’ –> ….. click ‘Next’ –> ‘Finish’ approach of Windows installers."

I think your right about this. Installers should probably have two buttons; Options and Install. Making users click through a series of default options they have little or no interest in changing (or that they may not even understand), is slighly absurd. I wonder how many click 'Next' buttons are pressed by humanity each day? And 'Finish' - what does that mean? All this unnecessary clicking probably contributes to "popup apathy" also.

"A lot of websites also have advertisements that look like they are the download links to trick people to click on them. A great example of this unfortunate practice is the website of the quite popular and useful Paint.NET application."

Yes it is. However it obeys my quality rule; quality is the inverse of the determinicity of demand. So if you give away an otherwise quality product, the experience will be degraded in some other manner. This is unavoidable.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Essentially I was hoping for two things in Windows 8. A completely revised installation/update mechanism that isn't just tacked on but integrated with the system.

An AppStore for Desktop apps.

Sadly, neither is happening.

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:37 AM
  • And 'Finish' - what does that mean? All this unnecessary clicking probably contributes to "popup apathy" also.

Interesting thought!

Also, I agree with your quality rule and I think all of this could change with an AppStore. I think Pain.NET for example could easily charge a few dollars on the store and people would buy it.

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:38 AM
  • And 'Finish' - what does that mean? All this unnecessary clicking probably contributes to "popup apathy" also.

Interesting thought!

Also, I agree with your quality rule and I think all of this could change with an AppStore. I think Pain.NET for example could easily charge a few dollars on the store and people would buy it.

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:38 AM
  • "Pain.NET"

Freudian slip? :-)

"Installers should probably have two buttons; Options and Install"

What about that idea? Workable? Is it possible you could do a demo of some sort?

Friday, September 30, 2011 5:32 AM
  • "Pain.NET"

Freudian slip? :-)

Oops, that was by mistake :)

"Installers should probably have two buttons; Options and Install"

What about that idea? Workable? Is it possible you could do a demo of some sort?

In my opinion we should all stop to try and fix and patch and tack on even more installer solutions and demand that Microsoft creates a new installation/update framework that works. I'm sick of seeing yet another installer/update framework that still suffers from the same fundamental problems.

Friday, September 30, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Fair enough. I read your post but could you possibly outline here in point form?

Friday, September 30, 2011 6:14 AM
  • i have to agree with your comments because i was uber excited when i heard about the windows store and thought i could finally throw a hot pan of water into apples face and embrace microsoft to the full because my main area is desktop software developing but then i found out the store will only let you sell metro apps and i was gutted.  i will be developing metro apps dont get me wrong but if the store is to succeed it needs desktop apps in the store aswell and not just links to their websites.

windows 8 run on either tablet of pc will still have a desktop underneath the metro ui and people will continue to use the desktop so it only makes sense that the store should include desktop apps.  it doesnt need to have the same trial type features as metro apps because this can be handled through the software itself but being able to upload/list your software in the store at a set price so users can easily purchase then download the software directly from the store would be perfect and there is a clear need for it and i know desktop apps wont run on ARM but you can easily disable that part of the store when people are using ARM devices.  as mentioned in the OP's blog it should also have an easy 1-click install and that would be the iceing on the store cake and bring people back to windows.  even on tablets i think peoples usage of the metro ui and desktop will be 50/50 noone will use metro exclusively because they will want to run things like antivirus, photoshop, office, online games and businesses, schools will all actively use the desktop which means great opportunities from developers and microsoft but we will miss out if they dont add this to the store.. apple already have this option and microsoft need to offer the same or face forcing more users/developers away and that would be realy bad.  we are almost there with the best version of windows ever so lets not blow it lets get it spot on from day one.

open Windows and let some fresh air in then people can throw out their stale apples hehe

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:21 PM
  • indeed! I wrote an email to build8blog@live.com voice concerns and they replied basically saying that they appreciate the technical perspective and that they want to solve these issues for Metro apps but don't want to do the same for Win32/Desktop apps as not to 'disrupt' existing infrastructure and business models.

I think that this is a bad strategic decision for Microsoft. They keep the peace with some big companies and software producers by sacrificing usability, innovation on the Desktop, attractiveness of the platform for small ISV's and ultimately long term success of the platform.

This 'avoiding conflict' strategy just ensures mediocrity of the user experience in the long term.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 4:29 AM