arithmetic overflow error converting int to data type numeric RRS feed

• Question

• HI, I am developing an application with VB.Net as front end and SQL Server 2008 as backend. I have a text box in a windows form. The text box is defined as NumericOnly and maxlength of 6 in properties. Iam trying to save the data in the textbox to a table field in sql server which has been defined as [decimal](5, 2). If I click on the save button, iam getting the following error

"arithmetic overflow error converting int to data type numeric". Can anybody help? The vb.net code is as below

objSqlStatement = New StringBuilder
    objSqlStatement.Append("UPDATE [Table_Name] SET ")               
    objSqlStatement.Append("[Field_Name] = " & CDbl(textbox1.Text.Trim) & " ")
    objSqlStatement.Append("WHERE [Group_Id] = " & Group_Id)
    objActivateDB.ExecuteNonQuery(objSqlStatement.ToString)

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, [decimal](5, 2) means that the number can have a precision of 5 digits total, and 2 digits are for the decimal portion. but your text box is defined as maxlength of 6, so [decimal](5, 2) is not enough. please change it. 

See below link for more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258832%28v=sql.80%29.aspx

• Marked as answer by Carl Cai Monday, May 19, 2014 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:23 AM
  • use parameters, your kind of solution has proven to fail in more ways then you can test.

Look to this sample on our website

http://www.vb-tips.com/ExtendedSQLParameters.aspx

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by Carl Cai Monday, May 19, 2014 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:34 AM
  • This is correct and is borrowed from FORTRAN!!!

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:04 PM
  • This is correct and is borrowed from FORTRAN!!!

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:16 PM
  • :) Fortran was a professional language and typically is run on good processors although it was quite capable of being run by unprofessional developers and jesus it was. I have the original game Adventure which is great but it's real spaghetti and was designed by a man for his son. It's a wonderful game and was the first computer game!

I just found mine. Although Intel is the current owner DEC was the original author of the Fortran that Intel owns.

Renee

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:23 PM