EULA: "Commercial software hosting service" RRS feed

• Question

• In VC++ 2008 Express, the EULA says "You also may not use the software for commercial software hosting services."

What does this mean?  I have no technical knowledge of what this refers to; the phrase means nothing to me.

Can I make an app that uses a http client/server to communicate across several machines?   The clients and servers may be on multiple machines.   Also, I suppose the apps can be considered commercial.  I would be using some of the VC++ 2008 Express included libraries as well.

Is there any way to ask Microsoft?
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

• Taking legal advice from an Internet forum is probably not the best idea.  Ask your company's councel to review the EULA.  From where I sit, the phrase forbids you to use the software to create an Internet service and make money off of selling access to the service to 3rd parties.  That would make you a direct competitor to Microsoft, using their own software to compete with them, in a market segment that they are trying to control but don't.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Yan-Fei Wei Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:17 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:16 PM

All replies

• Taking legal advice from an Internet forum is probably not the best idea.  Ask your company's councel to review the EULA.  From where I sit, the phrase forbids you to use the software to create an Internet service and make money off of selling access to the service to 3rd parties.  That would make you a direct competitor to Microsoft, using their own software to compete with them, in a market segment that they are trying to control but don't.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Yan-Fei Wei Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:17 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Is there any way to ask Microsoft about it?
    • Edited by Kevin Ar18 Friday, July 4, 2008 4:04 AM ....
    Friday, July 4, 2008 12:30 AM
  •  

Hi,

It means you can not deploy VC++ 2008 Express on the server on a standalone basis for others to access. If the VC++ 2008 Express runtime is needed for your clients to use your application, you should direct the users to download it from the Microsoft Download Center.

You can also refer to this thread
    http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vsgatk/thread/cde9212c-9200-474f-978c-16bb544a24ea/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:55 AM