Pass this reference for checkbox event in Repeater control RRS feed

• Question

• User-436309264 posted

Hello everyone,

I am trying to pass "this" reference for checkbox click event inside Repeater Itemdatabound but getting error

protected void repeaterAppraisalHistory_ItemDataBound(object sender, RepeaterItemEventArgs e)

{

if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)

{

CheckBox chkGU = (CheckBox)e.Item.FindControl("chkGU");

chkGU.Attributes.Add("onclick", "checkGU(this" + "," + lblFiscalYear.Text + ");")

}

}

function checkGU(checkbox,fiscalyear) {

alert(fiscalyear);

browseGU(checkBox, fiscalyear);

}

function browseGU(checkBox, firstCellValue) {

$("[id *=chkGU]").each(function (e) {

var name = $(this).prop('id');
    alert(name);

});

}

I am getting Javascript error 0x800a1391 - JavaScript runtime error: 'checkBox' is undefined.     I think its not recognizing "this" reference.

Please advice

Thanks

Kapil 

Friday, February 12, 2016 3:38 AM

Answers

• User-183374066 posted

lblFiscalYear.Text

From where you are getting this control. I mean you didn't find that control like you do for chkGU. By the way, you can make some changes to your above code. Put quotes around FiscalYear Text and pass Id of checkbox in function.

if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)

{

chkGU.Attributes.Add("onclick", "checkGU(" + chkGU.ClientID +",'" + lblFiscalYear.Text + "');")

}

and in javascript

function checkGU(checkboxId,fiscalyear) {

alert('CheckBox checked?' + $(checkboxId).is(':checked') + ' & FiscalYear = ' + fiscalyear);

}

I didnt' test the code. You can try at your end and let me know if still you are facing issues. By the way, I prefer you to do all this event binding / javascript things on client side instead of server side. Add me on skype. I will guide you all through how to do this work at client side. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 4:47 AM
  • User61956409 posted

Hi Kapils573,

I am getting Javascript error 0x800a1391 - JavaScript runtime error: 'checkBox' is undefined.     I think its not recognizing "this" reference.

The following sample code works fine on my side, please refer to it.

<asp:CheckBox ID="CheckBox1" runat="server" />
    function checkGU(checkBox, firstCellValue) {
        alert($(checkBox).is(":checked") + " " + firstCellValue);
    }

Code behind

CheckBox1.Attributes.Add("onclick", "checkGU(this" + ",'2016');");

Best Regards,

Fei Han

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:55 AM

All replies

• User-183374066 posted

lblFiscalYear.Text

From where you are getting this control. I mean you didn't find that control like you do for chkGU. By the way, you can make some changes to your above code. Put quotes around FiscalYear Text and pass Id of checkbox in function.

{

chkGU.Attributes.Add("onclick", "checkGU(" + chkGU.ClientID +",'" + lblFiscalYear.Text + "');")

}

and in javascript

function checkGU(checkboxId,fiscalyear) {

alert('CheckBox checked?' + $(checkboxId).is(':checked') + ' & FiscalYear = ' + fiscalyear);

}

I didnt' test the code. You can try at your end and let me know if still you are facing issues. By the way, I prefer you to do all this event binding / javascript things on client side instead of server side. Add me on skype. I will guide you all through how to do this work at client side. 

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:47 AM
  • User61956409 posted

Hi Kapils573,

The following sample code works fine on my side, please refer to it.

<asp:CheckBox ID="CheckBox1" runat="server" />
    function checkGU(checkBox, firstCellValue) {
        alert($(checkBox).is(":checked") + " " + firstCellValue);
    }

Code behind

CheckBox1.Attributes.Add("onclick", "checkGU(this" + ",'2016');");

Best Regards,

Fei Han

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:55 AM