none
Unicode and Code Pages - What was the rationale behind Unicode "Code Pages" - small memory footprint? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious about the rationale behind the decision that gave life to Unicode "Code Pages". Was it all about the memory savings? Or was it more about the work involved with respect to the vast number of native fonts in the Windows OS systems?

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi 7h3D4rkKn1gh7,

Thank you for posting here.

>>Was it all about the memory savings?

Yes, Fundamentally, computers just deal with numbers. They store letters and other characters

by assigning a number for each one. Before Unicode was invented, there were hundreds of different

encoding systems for assigning these numbers.

Now ASCII encoding and Unicode encoding is common encoding system.

ASCII defines 128 characters, which map to the numbers 0–127. Unicode defines (less than) 2<sup>21</sup> characters, which, similarly, map to numbers 0–2<sup>21</sup> .

As far as I know one Unicode is 16bits, one ASCII is 8 bits. so the memory is big than ASCII encoding.

---- If your issue has been resolved, please close your thread by marking useful posts as answer.

I hope the reply can help you to understand Unicode encoding. if you have something else, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Hart

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Friday, September 16, 2016 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by DotNet WangModerator Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:24 AM