none
Make SmallBasic open source

General discussion

• Since Microsoft is opening everything now would it be possible to open source SmallBasic. I would be willing to help develop it. Comments?
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:53 PM

All replies

• You may also develop your own extension:

here is a excellent Wiki Technet articles about how to build your own extension in C#

Small Basic: How to Create an Extension Using C#

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:00 PM
    Answerer
  • There's no way to extend the language itself. Or is there?
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi Grega !

I found this in the forum : the question was asked in 2008

here is the link:  Open Source?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:55 PM
    Answerer
  • So still deciding.....
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:05 PM
  • You could modify/rewrite the compiler - a bit of work but doable and has already been done by Fremy Company for SB extension creator and I think I saw an F# version somewhere which did have subroutine arguments.  Although a great idea it didn't catch on much - the main idea of SB is coding fundamentals as a stepping stone to other langiages.

Potentially the issue may be Open Small Basic == Large Incomprehensible Basic (just like most other, plenty of them, BASIC variants, including another called SmallBasic).

Friday, February 17, 2017 12:00 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I checked these suggestions and here are my thoughts. F# I found before but that's too complicated for kids to use. As far as I can see Fremy decompiled the SmallBasic executable and took out the parser and the compiler. This is actually what I started to do yesterday but it feels like stealing. It would be much better to have parser/compiler as a separate DLL which we could use and include in our application.

However my intent was not to make another compiler I would rather work on current SmallBasic implementation. It's actually not that difficult to make one from scratch but that's not the point. The point is there is already a community around SmallBasic and it would be nice if that community would be able to help make it better. Unfortunately extensions are not enough to do that.

Regarding your concern about SmallBasic becoming complicated if it would be open source. I don't agree. Open source doesn't mean anybody can make anything. Contributions should still be regulated by original author or other administrator. If that's not enough you can still fork the source code and make your own version.

Friday, February 17, 2017 1:33 PM
  • The F# mention was not that it is an alternative to SB for beginners.  It was an alternative compiler for Small Basic with a few more language features written in F#, just a language parser and IL emiter.

http://www.trelford.com/blog/post/compiler.aspx

http://www.trelford.com/blog/post/parser.aspx

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:07 PM
  • You can decompile SmallBasic (with ILSpy for example) right now and find all vulnerabilities. With ILSpy you'll get all the source code in C#.

• Edited by Grega Stamac Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:55 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:54 PM
  • Perhaps you want to look at SBIDE++ (Forum search)

by gungan37 (for SB 1.0)

Here is his last post (Nov 2016)

Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Is it open source?

I would like to help develop SmallBasic IDE and compiler. How can I do that by looking into another SB IDE?

Sunday, February 19, 2017 9:54 AM
  • SBIDE++ not open source. Some of the components it's using.

Here's the 'About':

SB IDE++ Version 1.01
    Copyright (C) 2013 Eric Tilley (gungan37), All rights reserved
    Special thanks to Jibba Jabba for extensive beta testing and ideas

Microsoft Small Basic Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. No Microsoft Small Basic binaries are shipped with SB IDE++
    ScintillaNET Copyright (C) 2012 ScintillaNET Team, All rights reserved
    DockPanel Suite licensed under the MIT license
    DesignSurface (Extended) library licensed under the CPOL license
    Another Toolbox Control Copyright (C) 2004 - 2013 Aju George
    SevenZipSharp licensed under the LGPL License
    Windows Ribbon for WinForms library licensed under the Ms-Pl
    ObjectListView licensed under GPL v3
    NHunspell licensed under GPL/LGPL/MPL
    Images licensed from the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Image Library, the Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Image Library and Eclipse Juno IDE
    SharpBITS.NET licensed under the New BSD License (BSD)
    C# MAPI Wrapper licensed under the CPOL from David M Brooks
    SB IDE++ Relfector Version 1.0  Copyright (C) 2013 Eric Tilley