From C++ to UML RRS feed

• Question

• What tool can I use to generate UML class diagram from C or C++ code ?

I have all Visual Studio versiosn and licenses but I do not know where to look at!

Monday, August 2, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hello SOLTI,

Thanks for your post.

Check the following link about reversing engineering code into UML diagrams with Microsoft Visio 2000. This article describes very detailed steps. Please let me know if it helpful.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140255(office.10).aspx
    (Step-by-Step Guide to Reverse Engineering Code into UML Diagrams with Microsoft Visio 2000)

If you have any problems, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,

Liliane

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Thanks
    • Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Monday, August 16, 2010 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:52 AM
  • Hello SOLTI,

There is also another option. Have you tried StarUML? You could also use this tool which is free and is compatible with C++ and C#.  You could find it here:
    http://staruml.sourceforge.net/en/about.php

Best regards,

Liliane

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Thanks
    • Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Monday, August 16, 2010 10:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:17 AM
  • If you have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, you can install the Visualization and Modeling Feature Pack  to create UML class diagrams from C or C++ code.

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hello SOLTI,

Thanks for your post.

Check the following link about reversing engineering code into UML diagrams with Microsoft Visio 2000. This article describes very detailed steps. Please let me know if it helpful.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140255(office.10).aspx
    (Step-by-Step Guide to Reverse Engineering Code into UML Diagrams with Microsoft Visio 2000)

If you have any problems, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,

Liliane

• Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Monday, August 16, 2010 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:52 AM
  • Hello SOLTI,

There is also another option. Have you tried StarUML? You could also use this tool which is free and is compatible with C++ and C#.  You could find it here:
    http://staruml.sourceforge.net/en/about.php

Best regards,

Liliane

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

• Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Monday, August 16, 2010 10:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Hello SOLTI again,

What's the situation on your side? If you have any comments, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,
    Liliane
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us. Thanks
    Monday, August 9, 2010 6:57 AM
  • If you have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, you can install the Visualization and Modeling Feature Pack  to create UML class diagrams from C or C++ code.

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I would like to show graphically my C++ code as a UML diagram. I have Visual Studio 7.1 (2003) and Visio 2003 SP3.  I tried the link you posted:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140255%28office.10%29.aspx

I attempted it but could not find the Visio UML Add In in VS. 

Is that because: "The Visio UML Model Diagram Solution supports reverse engineering only for Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0"... "Service Pack 3.0 for Microsoft® Visual Studio® must be installed to use the Visio UML Add-In"

Can this still be used for my versions of Visio and Visual Studio (no idea how to check if I have service pack 3.0)?

Other open source solutions?
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:38 PM
  • If memory serves, you need to Professional versions and, reverse engineering is crippled or missing beyond (visio/visual studio) 2005.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:39 AM