none
HOW TO: FIX ERROR - "the 'microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine" RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the instructions to download ACEOLEDB.DLL

and have confirmed it is found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office 14 ACEOLEDB.DLL

as Allen Li suggested, but I am still getting this error on the

SQL Server Import and Export Wizard as I attempt to import data from Excel (and the highest version of Excel you can select with the wizard is 2007)

I am running:

Office Pro Plus 2013/Excel 2013

SQL Server 2008

Windows 8

I found a post that says I can install the 32 bit driver on top of the 64 bit, but it's still not working

Why do we need to install the old 32 bit driver on the 64 bit operating
    system?

SQL Server Management Studio is a 32 bit application, most likely it can only
    use the 32 bit driver on the 64 bit operating system.

If you try to install the 32 bit version of the newer Microsoft
    Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable
    and you already have the 64
    bit version of Microsoft Office installed on your 64 bit computer you will get
    the following error message:

“You cannot install the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine
    2010 because you currently have 64-bit Office products installed. If you want to
    install 32-bit Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010, you will first need to
    remove the 64-bit installation of Office products. After uninstalling the
    following product(s), rerun setup in order to install 32-bit version of
    Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010: …”

The old 32 bit 2007 Office System Driver can be installed even if the 64 bit
    version of Microsoft Office 2013 is installed on the machine.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:37 PM

Answers

• You enter it on the command line when running the install program:

AccessDatabaseEngineXX.exe /passive

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Monday, April 7, 2014 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

For this error “You cannot install the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine

2010 because you currently have 64-bit Office…”

This is a system feature because the 64-bit version of Office 2010 is incompatible with the 32-bit version of Office 2010 products or with the 32-bit version of Office 2010 components.

It is described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2269468

So we need to choice one.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 4, 2014 3:14 AM
  • Dear Fred,

My goal is not to install a particular version of the Access database engine, but to do whatever t is necessary to overcome the error 'microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine" which is preventing me from using the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard to import data from Excel.

Any specific advice as to how to do so would be appreciated.   As I mentioned, I am running Office/Excel 2013, Windows 8 and SQL Server 2008 R2 x64.

Regards

Friday, April 4, 2014 11:41 AM
  • You may be able to install the 32-bit version by specifying the /passive argument on the command line.

Friday, April 4, 2014 8:11 PM
  • Thank you Paul, at what point in the process would I enter /passive?

Friday, April 4, 2014 8:28 PM
  • You enter it on the command line when running the install program:

AccessDatabaseEngineXX.exe /passive

Monday, April 7, 2014 12:43 PM
  • As a consultant I have ran into this issue many times over the 5-7 years using SSMS, BIDS, and VS and it always proves illusive to resolve depending on the components installed and the machine(s). A simple test is to open SQL Server Management Studio right click on a database, go to Tasks/Import Data, select Microsoft Excel as Data Source, Microsoft Excel 2007 as Excel Version, browse to a valid .xlsx file and try to open. If you get the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 Provider Not Installed error, SSMS cannot find the 32 bit driver. If you can open the .xlsx then you just need to check the box run as 32 bit when running from VS or SQL Agent. To prove this, I installed AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe on a clean 2008 R2 Server with SQL 2008 R2 installed with NO OFFICE PRODUCTS installed (database only server) and received the error. Then I installed AccessDatabaseEngine.exe (32 bit version) on an identical (database only server) and did not receive the error. Also when I run import packages from VS/BIDS tools servers connected to the database servers as a destinations they work or don't work depending on what version of AccessDatabaseEngine is installed on the tools server when running from BIDS/VS and what version is installed on the database server when running as a SQL Agent package. Basically ask yourself this question; What program is trying to open the driver and is that driver available and the same bit type as the program? Then troubleshoot from there... Hope this helps!
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:40 PM