Spreadsheet-like grid control for Metro style app

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there's any sort of control available which would allow a spreadsheet-like grid to be built into a Metro-style app. It doesn't need to have actual spreadsheet functionality, it would just need to be a dumb grid with the ability to set an arbitrary number of rows and columns, with cell data (strings)provided programmatically.

I know there are probably issues with manipulating such a grid via touch (cell selection, cut and paste, scrolling etc), and a large spreadsheet may lead to too much of the dreaded "chrome", but surely there must be a need for such a thing if used properly. I assume Microsoft will have such a feature in the Metro version of Excel.

If such a control (with XAML source) existed for Silverlight or WPF, would it be possible to port it to Metro?

I'd be very interested to hear any thoughts whatsover on these issues.

Robert.

Friday, June 15, 2012 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

There isn't a direct spreadsheet control. There is a Grid control which allows other controls to be laid out in rows and columns, which may be what you're looking for as a "dumb grid". Depending on your specific use, you may be better off using a ListView or GridView and putting your row data in a well-templated item element.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by RobertHF Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:52 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:46 PM
    Owner