Ping The Regulars - OT RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Network Solutions as my domain name registrar for years have decided to quit paying their too-large fees (now they want $37.50 to renew a domain name.)

Who has some good alternative recommendations? What I need is:

1. Reasonable price for renewing a domain name each year.

2. Ability to transfer from one host to another by myself (complete control of what nameservers my domain(s) point to).

3. No charge for doing (2)

Recommendations?

Clark, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    http://www.HomePageDoctor.com/Tutorials.htm
    http://www.Ownertrades.com Created with Frontpage, Access, Wizards & Bots
    http://www.LawOfAllTheLand.org Created with Expression, VWDExpress, SQLExpess, ASP.NET

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Namecheap  http://www.namecheap.com/

[posting from the bridge]

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
    FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

• Marked as answer by ClarkNK Friday, October 7, 2011 7:00 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:16 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 12:01 AM
  • Another vote for Namecheap. I will say that moving domains from Network Solutions was NOT an easy task. Had to jump through hoops to finally get the job done. This was a couple of years ago so hopefully things have changed.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Friday, October 7, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Add me to the namecheap.com users.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Friday, October 7, 2011 3:04 PM
  • OK thanks everyone. Namecheap here I come. I will report back on how hard it was.

LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    • Edited by ClarkNK Friday, October 7, 2011 7:01 PM typo
    Friday, October 7, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Ok, well finally I am back.

For my first attempt at transferring to a new registrar I tried transferring two of my domain names, lawofalltheland.org and lawofalltheland.com. Of these (the .org one) is an active site, and the .com one just points to the .org one.  Both were coming up for renewal, I requested (on NameCheap) transfer of those two domains.

First thing that happened is it was reported back that the domains could not be transferred, reasons given for that being that the domains could be locked or there could be missing Technical Contact listings for them. So I logged into Network Solutions, unlocked the domains, requested authorization codes, and made sure the technical contacts were in place. Then re-requested the transfer and NameCheap.

The .org transfer proceeded as it should, taking about 4 out of the normal 5 days they say it takes.

The .com one failed, telling me the authorization code was bad. So I reqested the code again from Network Solutions. They sent me the same code. I tried the transfer again. Failed again. Same reason, so onto the phone with Network Solutions (several times). They said the authorization code was valid and making a long story short, they said they could not help me because my account was under HomePage Doctor, not my real name. And for them to help me, I had to change the account holder to my real name. After a lot of back and forth, I realized it was never going to happen until I changed the account holder name.

So I went to do that but guess what -- since the .org name transfer was "in process" at that time, I could not change the account holder name. So they said I must wait until the .org transfer is completed, then go in and change the account name, then call them again and they could help me. Don't ask.

Why did the one transfer work and the other fail when both were under the HomePage Doctor name? Who knows. What would they do to "fix" the .com transfer so it would work since they said the authorization code was already correct? Who knows. Not me, because I dont really care about the .com name anyway and am just going to let it expire. None of my other names are close to renewal so I wont be trying to transfer them for a while. But I'm sure it will be fun.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Ask Network Solutions, I've found transferring domains away from them to be a major pain in the rear end. They used to send out the authoriztion codes on friday night with a 24-36 hour expiration, it didn't matter which day of the week you asked for the code either it was always the following friday night. I expect it is probably a Network Solutions created problem but then I'll freely admit to being biased against them since I've had nothing but trouble when clients have registered with them.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:11 PM