SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have both SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 on my laptop.  My system is running very slow and I'm removing programs I no longer use.  I was wondering if I needed both of these.  SQL 2005 was installed when I installed VB 2008 and Visual C++ Express Editions.  I removed VB2008 Express Edition and will be removing C++.  I also have installed Visual Studio Professional.  If I remove SQL 2005, will that effect any old programs I've created.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:43 AM

Answers

• If you have programs that access databases on your 2005 instance then yes. You have two main options backup the user databases on you 2005 instance and then restore them onto your 2008 instance (remember to change the connection strings to point at the 2008 instance).

The other option is to make sure that the services that belong to your 2005 & 2008 instances are all set to manual and only start them up when you wish to use these "old programs".

If you find this helpful, please mark the post as helpful,
    If you think this solves the problem, please propose or mark it an an answer.

Please provide details on your SQL Server environment such as version and edition, also DDL statements for tables when posting T-SQL issues

Richard Douglas
    My Blog: Http://SQL.RichardDouglas.co.uk
    Twitter: @SQLRich
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Monday, July 4, 2011 1:38 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Hi cagill,

Could you please elaborate a bit on your scenario? Your existing SQL Server Express 2005 should be installed together with VS2008. Which edition of SQL Server 2008 is it? If it’s a non-Express edition of SQL Server 2008 and you do not use "user instance" in your applications, I would suggest you keep SQL Server 2008 and remove the existing SQL Server 2005 Express. SQL Server Express Edition is free and has several limitations.

"User instance" is a feature of SQL Server Express Edition, which is not supported by other editions of SQL Server (such as Developer or Enterprise).

For more information about SQL Server Express user instance, please see: Working with User Instances  

If it is SQL Server 2008 Express, we can remove SQL Server 2005 Express, there is no need to have both SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server 2008 Express on your machine.

Before remove SQL Server 2005 Express, you need to move databases from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008. It is recommended to use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove SQL Server 2005 Express. If Add or Remove Programs does not uninstall SQL Server 2005, you can follow  How to uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2005 manually 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:58 AM

All replies

• If you have programs that access databases on your 2005 instance then yes. You have two main options backup the user databases on you 2005 instance and then restore them onto your 2008 instance (remember to change the connection strings to point at the 2008 instance).

The other option is to make sure that the services that belong to your 2005 & 2008 instances are all set to manual and only start them up when you wish to use these "old programs".

If you find this helpful, please mark the post as helpful,
    If you think this solves the problem, please propose or mark it an an answer.

Please provide details on your SQL Server environment such as version and edition, also DDL statements for tables when posting T-SQL issues

Richard Douglas
    My Blog: Http://SQL.RichardDouglas.co.uk
    Twitter: @SQLRich
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Hi cagill,

Could you please elaborate a bit on your scenario? Your existing SQL Server Express 2005 should be installed together with VS2008. Which edition of SQL Server 2008 is it? If it’s a non-Express edition of SQL Server 2008 and you do not use "user instance" in your applications, I would suggest you keep SQL Server 2008 and remove the existing SQL Server 2005 Express. SQL Server Express Edition is free and has several limitations.

"User instance" is a feature of SQL Server Express Edition, which is not supported by other editions of SQL Server (such as Developer or Enterprise).

For more information about SQL Server Express user instance, please see: Working with User Instances  

If it is SQL Server 2008 Express, we can remove SQL Server 2005 Express, there is no need to have both SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server 2008 Express on your machine.

Before remove SQL Server 2005 Express, you need to move databases from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008. It is recommended to use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove SQL Server 2005 Express. If Add or Remove Programs does not uninstall SQL Server 2005, you can follow  How to uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2005 manually 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:58 AM
  • there is no problem in removing SQL 2005 from ur system, rather before removing take all you databases of sql 2005 and attach it to sql2008
    Best Regards, -------------- Mohammed Nayeem Senior software enggineer
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:25 AM