Access form ignores its recordsource RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear MS, 

    I have a problem with a converted Access DB. 

    The database was originally in Access 2.0 format and now it has been converted to Access 2007 format in multiple steps. 

    Most functionality problem could be easily fixed, however, there is one problem for which I could not figure out any solution yet.

    Some forms use query as their recordsource. When opening the form run-time the recordset is empty. When I run the same query alone, it is run correctly roducing the proper recordset. I also tried to alter the recordset on the form load event changing it explicitely but it did not work out well either.

    The query contains a parameter gathered from a parent form so if the parameter is not present it pops up an edit box to fill. This is a good indicator for checking if the query is run, by not providing an value for the parameter.

    The fact is, when I run the Descendent form without providing parameter, the form opens without asking for the value, using empty recordset. This makes me think that the recordsource query is for some reason not run when loading the form, though it should be.

    I also tried creating a new form as a last solution, using the same query as a recordsource and it worked pretty fine. Still, I am hoping there is an easier solution for this problem, rather than recreating like 20 forms in my database.

    Do you guys have any ideas?

    Monday, August 6, 2018 5:48 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    If the problem forms are corrupted, recreating them will definitely take care of the issue. Have you tried doing a compact and repair (C&R) just to see if it makes any difference?

    Just a thought...

    • Edited by .theDBguy Monday, August 6, 2018 6:56 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2018 6:55 PM
  • Thank you for the reply, unfortunately it did not do any difference and the problem remained still.
    Monday, September 3, 2018 6:29 AM
  • Try copying the form to the clipboard, and then paste it back in under a new name.  This often cures any corruption, in which case you can then delete the original form and rename the new one back to the old name.

    Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

    Monday, September 3, 2018 11:05 AM
  • Finally, the problem got solved. 

    On the form's data property tab, the "data entry" was for some reason, set to YES. Maybe because of the conversion, I will never know. Setting this property to NO just solved the problem.

    Thank you for all the answers.

    Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:03 PM