none
Windows updates on Container OS Image RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say I build an application framework container for ASP.NET based on a Server Core container image. I then build an application container based on the ASP.NET container. Can I reuse the ASP.NET and Application containers if a new Server Core container is released with the latest windows updates? Can I reuse the Application container if I update the ASP.NET container with the latest security updates?
    Monday, February 8, 2016 4:03 PM

All replies

• Not an answer but more a follow up question to msft team. Containers are (at the moment) exposed to host  at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Container Image Store so would make sense to update the "core windows" files leveraging shadows copies? This way we could link the container update process with the overall host update process.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:35 AM
  • If I understood the docker concept correctly, best practice would be to re-build your application container and commit to an new "applicationimage" - based on the latest (and greatest) "parent" image "applicationframework" (parented by your patched Server Core image). 

I would have dockerfiles for each of my containers (and parents) and would then "docker build" these every time the parent is getting modified, patchday, infrastructure changes etc. Then commit the updated container(s) with different tag, let's say "v2" - That way you would have version-controlled your application containers and the whole tree.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:31 PM