none
visual studio 2015 community - cant open project

Question

• the project was originally created with visual studio 2005

i am going "open project" and then opening a *.sln file. 

i get the following : 

This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them "

The migration report shows an error for the "*dtproj" file. the .sln file seems to migrate OK (this solution does not require migration)

so my question is what application is the *.dtproj" file type based on and how can i install this on my server?

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi dirkdigs - MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,VCP,

I strongly recommend you to take a look at this blog post about that issue: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/charles_sterling/2015/06/17/this-version-of-visual-studio-is-unable-to-open-the-following-projects-deployproj/

Best regards!

(If this was helpful for you, vote for it and propose it as an answer)

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Please see, although maybe not specific to VS 2015, the below links. I dont believe that SQL Server Data Tools works with Visual Studio 2015 Community though from what the bottom link says although it does say it works with a couple express versions which IMO needs to be verified by MS since VS 2015 Community is greater than express versions. IMO the info is probably inaccurate but maybe not.

dtproj file not supported in visual studio 2013

Integration Services (SSIS) Projects

SQL Server Data Tools in Visual Studio 2015

Also Visual Studio will always, AFAIK, migrate a project created from an earlier version of Visual Studio whether that is "required" or not by the user so that the new version of VS can work with the project.

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:23 PM
  • Also if you can install SQL Data Server Tools in VS 2015 Community but the project will not open or upgrade and the project was written in either C# or VB.Net AndAlso the project has an assembly (executable or .Dll I suppose) created by VS 2005 when VS 2005 compiled the project then it's possible you could use Telerik JustDecompile to decompile the executable.

Telerik JustDecompile also has a capability to create a Visual Studio project in either C# or VB.Net from the decompilation. And the project it will create will be placed in a Folder (you need to create a Folder to place the project files in) and you can select various versions of Visual Studio you want it to create the project for. Or at least VS 2015 probably since I believe Telerik JustDecompile knows which Visual Studios are installed on your system.

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:38 PM
  • yes i installed SQL server data tools .

i can confirm by going 

visual studio > about > installed products > sql server data tools

vers. 14.0.60311.1

it still says (incompatible)

application is not installed.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:02 PM
  • yes i installed SQL server data tools .

i can confirm by going 

visual studio > about > installed products > sql server data tools

vers. 14.0.60311.1

it still says (incompatible)

application is not installed.

It may have installed but that does not mean it works with VS 2015 Community since it says it doesn't say it does.

What says what is incompatible? And what application is not installed?

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:09 PM
  • it says that under solution explorer.

here is the upgrade log. pastebin

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Hi dirkdigs,

The dtproj files would be related to the SSIS project. For the old VS version like the VS2013, we would install the SSDT-BI 2013. For the VS2015, you could install SQL Server Data Tools Preview.

Download the Latest SSDT Preview for Visual Studio 2015

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:53 AM
  • i got a little further but now am getting the following error. 

I:\Automated Processes\DTSScripts\LoadWarehouse\LoadWarehouse\LoadWarehouse.dtproj : error  : The XML element DeploymentModelSpecificContent is missing from the file named: I:\Automated Processes\DTSScripts\LoadWarehouse\LoadWarehouse\LoadWarehouse.dtproj.

any ideas?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:51 AM
  • Hi dirkdigs,

>>the project was originally created with visual studio 2005.

Sorry for that I miss one import issue, if this project was created in the VS2005, I feel that it would have a compatibility issue if you open it using the VS2015 directly, the VS2005 was really old VS version, actually Microsoft doesn't support it now.

VS2015 compatibility:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

(1)If possible, I suggest you create a new SSIS project in your current VS2015.

(2) Of course, if you could open/load this project in VS2015, but it has many compiled errors or warnings, maybe you could discuss this issue with the SSIS Experts here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlintegrationservices

If possible, please share a simple sample using one drive in your new thread, so the SSIS expert could really troubleshoot and repro this issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:29 AM