none
Workflow sends a mail and shows up some 30 times in the ULS SharePoint log RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a weird problem. In a 2013 workflow, I send a mail after the approval task completes. For some random instances, this same mail is sent multiple times, some 30 times roughly counted. I can see this in the SharePoint ULS logs.

I had this same issue three times at random times during the day in the last two weeks. And in those two weeks I have at least 100 approval flows where I did not have this problem, so there is nothing wrong with the flow ;-)

Any idea where to start searching ?

Marc

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hello Marc,

The reason for this is timing. If your workflow is very short and the SharePoint server is very slow, the first instance of the workflow may finish well before the item is fully saved and committed to SharePoint. As the item is being processed, the workflow event receiver can fire again, and start another instance of the workflow.

The solution to this problem is to add a step at the end of your workflow which will pause the workflow for a few minutes – Set it to 5 minutes and that seems to solve the problem.

Thanks Ravikant Chaturvedi

Friday, December 7, 2018 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

I did some further investigations, my flow goes correct 99% of the times it is launched.

But when looking at the slowest pages, my sendmail page .../_vti_bin/client.svc/sp.utilities.utility.sendmail has

(1) 5000 requests in the last month

(2) A maximum duration of 77.758 seconds, a minimum of 0.031 seconds and an average of 11.335 seconds

Any idea how to explain these big differences between minimum and maximum. Workflow manager and SharePoint server back-end are on the same server, a front-end is installed on a separate server.

Any information where to start looking would be helpfull ;-)

Best regards,

Marc

Monday, December 10, 2018 5:29 PM