none
WCF SQL - Stored proc generated schema DESIGN ?

Question

• Hi - I have stored proc generated schema which is already deployed in production. Now I want to use same schema, but add some more elements to it.So stored proc is modified, and elements are added in the schema.

Say if customer A  has a schema defined  which is deployed in PROD, then Customer B has same elements plus some additional elements.

So just by modifying stored proc and adding schema elements will that cause any impact on existing schema which is in PROD ?

Customer C, D,E,F....comes and keep on adding elements to Customer A schema....is it ok just keep on adding elements and deploy the latest scchema ? By doing this will it break Customer A schema in PROD ? Because this schema will be used in map and so on...

Any suggestions ?
    Monday, February 6, 2017 2:14 PM

Answers

• It is always safe to regenerate the schema the first time around. When you regenerate the schema you will see the new elements will show up in the end.

The same result could be achieved by editing the schema file (.XSD) directly.

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi SunnyJaguars,

IMHO

Adding more elements should generally not break the existing maps. Only removing the mapped fields from the schema break the map. 

Also if possible you should check out the canonical schema pattern (http://geekswithblogs.net/mattjgilbert/archive/2009/04/07/a-brief-note-on-canonical-schemas.aspx)

-Rakesh

Monday, February 6, 2017 3:41 PM
  • thank you.

Do I need to manually add those elements in the already existing schema or I need to regenerate the schema calling stored proc always ?

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:03 PM
  • It is always safe to regenerate the schema the first time around. When you regenerate the schema you will see the new elements will show up in the end.

The same result could be achieved by editing the schema file (.XSD) directly.

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

I would have regenerated the schema for sure. There is a bigger risk if the parent child relationship in the new rendered output is changed it will break the maps as well. Regenerate the schema to be on the safer side.

Regards PK: Please mark the reply as answer or vote it up, as deemed fit.

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:45 PM