none
MPE_Ethernet client crash - ndprot630.sys & support ticket submission RRS feed

• Question

• First, let me say that I have been trying to submit a ticket to Microsoft support for 3 days now and always get an error stating to try again later.

Now, here is the issue, maybe someone can shed some light on this.

I am seeing frequent crashes of ndprot630.sys while attempting to run the test (NDISTest 6.5 [2 machine] - MPE_Ethernet. This crash mostly occurs on the support machine. I have attempted rerunning this test about a dozen times and every time either the test client or support machine has this crash, which results in test failure.

WHCK version: 8.59.29734
    Filters: 12/2/2012
    Win8 version on Client/Support: Win8 x64 Pro RTM
    Client model: Dell Vostro 220
    Support model: Dell Vostro 200

I have also tried this on a 2nd set of newer hardware systems (i7 8 core cpu, 8gb ram), and the issue is still occurring. This is business impacting.

2nd set of systems:
    Client Model: HP Z210
    Support Model: HP Z210

Furthermore, I have tried multiple Network Cards in both Support machines for the roll of support device: Broadcomm NetXtreme Gigabit NIC, and Atheros 8151 Gigabit NIC.

This is preventing getting WHQL signatures. This failure was happening with the Release Preview version of the WHCK as well, but the failed results were filtered out, thus I thought this was a known issue that was going to be addressed.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:35 AM

Answers

• Starting with Windows 8 HCK, Microsoft has started shipping (public) symbols for ndprotXXX and a basic KD extension that might help you out a little bit here-

NDPROT symbols are located under NDISTest.Net\bin\symbols, in this case - NDISTest.Net\bin\symbols\ndprot630.pdb

KD debugger extension is located at NDISTest.Net\bin\kd\ndtkd.dll

Firing following commands might shed some light on what's going on. Also if you are able to file a support ticket - its recommended to include output of the following commands -

!ndtkd.debugmodule
    !ndtkd.assertions
    !ndtkd.breakpoints
    !ndtkd.debugspew

See !ndtkd.help for information on each of these commands.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:36 PM