none
Windows Embedded Compact 7 - M09 2014 Update Rollup with System.Exception

General discussion

• Dear all,
    I applied all Updates on my BSP up to Windows Embedded Compact 7 - M09 2014 Update Rollup included.
    After a Clean Sysgen I got a System.Exception in my C# application when I try to access Font Property, this Exception is't raised before applying latest update.

at Microsoft.AGL.Common.MISC.HandleAr(PAL_ERROR ar)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Font()

The problem could be related to this fix inserted in the Update 39?
    Component: Dot NET CF
    140930_KB3002285 - If the "Font" is specifically set on the Main form of an .NET windows application, 
    an exception is observed when the window/application is closed on a Windows Embedded Compact 7-based device.

Anyone have expreienced the same issue?
    There is the possibility that in Update 40 this problem will be fixed?

Thanks
    Stefano Bianconi

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We updated to M09 September 2014 and experienced this. We had to downgrade to M08 August 2014.

Regards,

Janne

Monday, November 17, 2014 11:19 AM
  • Did u find the problem / workaround or still running on M08 august 2014?

I just installed QFE rollup 2013,2014 + jan 2015. I saw the same exception.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:06 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue. Does anyone have a fix yet?

Bryan Kelly

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:34 PM
  • We also saw this problem.

Our workaround is to use older versions of C:\WINCE700\Others\Dotnetv35\<PLATFORM>\Netcfagl3_5.dll and C:\WINCE700\Others\Dotnetv35\<PLATFORM>\Netcfagl3_5.rel.

This seem to work for us, but I give no guarantees.

Someone from Microsoft should really address this problem. The fix described in KB3002285 is still needed.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:21 PM
  • The Update 44 (February 2015) contains an other fix for a Font Property related Problem (http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039843).

This may fix the problem you're seeing.

In case this does not fix the problem: If you provide me with proper repro steps (a small sample application will do) so I can try to get this problem fixed.

MVP Windows Embedded

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:26 PM
  • Dear Michael Koster,

I confirm the problem is solved with Update 44 (February 2015).

Many Thanks

Stefano Bianconi

Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:07 PM
  • Hi all,

Can anybody share netcfagl3_5.dll and netcfagl3_5.rel file from Feb 2015 update.

I am facing an issue similar to the above, application closing causes an exception. I tried to use Aug 2014 update dll's but it force closes the application while returning to the main window of my .NET application. 

Regards,

Seeth

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Hi Stefano,

I am using WEC7 Chinese simplified on one of our devices and used Apr 2014 update. We faced the access violation issue with this. I tried to change the netcfagl3_5.dll with Feb 2015 update. It still force closes the application. 

Any suggestions ?

Regards,

Seeth

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Hi Seeth,

The recommendation from MVP Michael Koster is to apply update 44.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Update 44 is released in Feb 2015. I used the .NET dll's from this update. After this it force closes the application. I expect normal exit. 

Upon pressing back from the second main screen, it should show us main screen of the application instead it exits the application with exception in msimesp.dll and .NET dlls.

Thanks,

Seeth

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:31 AM
  • Hi Seeth,

Can you please give detailed steps as to how we might see your failure?  The original issue in this thread has been addressed so maybe you should create a new one? 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:50 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I am using WEC7 Chinese simplified on one of our devices and used Apr 2014 update. We have developed one .NET application on this which works correctly. But while closing it closes with access violation exception at .NET dlls. I checked this in WEC7 update release notes, it is fixed in Sep 2014 update. But using .NET dlls from this update didn't solve the issue. I found this thread while searching and it said Feb 2015 update has the fix for this issue. 

I just copied the .NET dlls from WINCE700/others/dotnetv35\armv7 folder to the \Windows folder of the device and warm booted the device. 

When I am in second main screen of my .NET application, I pressed back button to view the main screen. Application exited without showing the main screen. This is the issue now. It should show us the main screen and then exit normally without any exception by pressing the back button. 

Is this the new issue in the update 44?

Regards,

Seeth

Thursday, September 1, 2016 12:46 PM