none
Offline File Availability -> Don't even know which forum to ask in RRS feed

• Question

• This does not look like the correct forum, but for the life of me I can't find a forum for questions about Windows Server setup...

If someone knows the correct forum please let me know. In the mean time...

I Run Windows Server 2008 R2.

The servers in question are acting as Web servers running IIS 7.5, using a shared config file which is stored on a share controlled by our FileServer (highly available cluster).

We have run into an issue where the server can't find the share, so it can't read the config file and IIS stops working. Based on what I have read this issue can be resolved by using 'Offline Availability' and, in reading the set up, it doesn't sound difficult.

Of course that is not the case...

Using the document technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755136.aspx 

1. Open Computer Management.

2. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.

3. In the console tree, click System Tools, click Shared Folders, and then click Shares.

4. In the results pane, right-click the shared folder, and then click Properties.

5. On the General tab, click Offline Settings, configure the offline availability options as appropriate and then click OK.

Looks and sounds easy. When I get to step 4 I can't click the shared folder. I don't see the shared folder. IIS is USING the shared folder, it's working so it has to be. The only shares that show up are shares that exist on the local server.

When we set up IIS to use the shared config we did not try to map a drive to the share using the IIS account, instead we used the tool that was built in, added the share \\DCFS\IISConfig, typed in credentials that we created just for this, and voila! it works.

Since I can't SEE the share in step 4 I can't click it and the entire process stops dead.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

This is not a simple mapping for a user where they have a mapped drive, this is set up directly using the UNC path and set up entirely in IIS, so I can't see the share to set up Offline Availability.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:31 PM

All replies