DirectShow and Windows 8??

Question

• Not sure where this fits in.

Will DirectShow still be in Windows 8 ? How will HD 160MB/sec YUV uncompressed per stream media or compressed media be handled?

How will C++ coders work with the raw YUV and third party codecs? I have seen slides for DirectX direct2D but nothing on raw

video handling in Windows 8. One other thing how will anyone be able to sync to an external monitor?

Will there finally be an official retrace callback so you can sync video out to the monitor on a 29.97 pulse?

Thanks,

bfxtech.com
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:32 PM

Answers

• bfxtech,

DirectShow will be supported on the Windows 8 platform from the standard desktop. DirectShow will not be supported from the new Metro UI. For Metro style applications the video platform is Media Foundation. You can create custom MFTs for video processing and have them loaded into topologies compatible with the Metro environment.

I hope this helps,

James

Global Technical Escalations Lead

Windows Media SDK Technologies

http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:02 AM

All replies

• In Windows 8 DP dshow.h is there in Windows 8 Kit, along with strmidds.lib and quartz.lib for x86 and x64, but it looks like the libs for ARM are not there. 

Microsoft lists Media Foundation as the alternative in Metro stype apps.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:12 PM
  • bfxtech,

DirectShow will be supported on the Windows 8 platform from the standard desktop. DirectShow will not be supported from the new Metro UI. For Metro style applications the video platform is Media Foundation. You can create custom MFTs for video processing and have them loaded into topologies compatible with the Metro environment.

I hope this helps,

James

Global Technical Escalations Lead

Windows Media SDK Technologies

http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:02 AM
  • Dear James,

Can I ask another question?

For desktop mode, will Dshow be supported in ARM version?

if yes, is the available Codec list same with x86 version?

thanks!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Microsoft has been cagy thus far as to whether there will be a desktop at all on the ARM devices.  All the clues I have seen thus far seem to indicate that ARM will be Metro only.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:58 PM