unable to create a environment - due to VM unable to register as an role RRS feed

• Question

• I created a couple of VM in SCVMM. 

When I go to create a new Environment in SCVMM.  I can see the VM with no issue.

The problem occurs when I add the VM to the ENvironment.  I get no combo box to select their role in the environment.  So I can't create the environment.

larry brader

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hi lbrader,

To be honest, I never encountered this kind of issue. During your set up environment process, do you get any configuration errors? And do you get any useful event logs in event viewer?

In addition, in my opinion your issue may be related to the permissions of the user account you are using. So, if you use the user account which has Administrator permissions of both TFS and SCVMM, will you still get the same error?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by lbrader Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:26 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi lbrader,

To be honest, I never encountered this kind of issue. During your set up environment process, do you get any configuration errors? And do you get any useful event logs in event viewer?

In addition, in my opinion your issue may be related to the permissions of the user account you are using. So, if you use the user account which has Administrator permissions of both TFS and SCVMM, will you still get the same error?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by lbrader Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:26 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Larry,

It appears that you are using TFS 2012 and that you are trying to add a machine to the environment while the environment is up and running. In TFS 2010/Lab Management 2010, you could not add a machine to the environment while it is running. You had to add a machine to the environment while the environment was in a stopped state. This may have changed in 2012 (I have not spun it up or tested it), but you may need to stop the environment, then try to add the VM. Just another thing to try.

Jarrett Coggin

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Hi Vicky,

This is the 1st time i ever so this state.  And I set up alot of these enviroments.

Anyway the issue appears to be with permissions.  I was doing this on a 2008 R2 box.   I went over  to Win 7 box and ran MTM and didn't see this issue. 

So I recycled the 2008 R2 box, and MTM worked correctly.  That appears to fixed the issue. 

larry brader

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Hi Jarrett,

In a way I did that.. I rebooted the 2k8 box i was using, not the VM.  I did try that scenario.

But for some reason the 2k8 box had some configuration issue. 

thanks,

Larry

larry brader

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:28 PM
  • So what permissions do you have on your user to be able to manage environments? 

Sophia Johnson QA Director MediMedia

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:30 PM