developing on windows 8

General discussion

• Where's C++? Where are options to develop even with .NET Framework but without XAML? Is Microsoft going to do to all developers that dedicated years of their lives to learning what they did to VB programmers before - take away their livelihood?

Microsoft losing ground fast, this is one more big step towards oblivion.

The vision that is being implemented is is both arrogant and foolish. The best resource Microsoft has is developers trained to support their platforms and tools, and by demonstrating blatant disregard to the investment that they made they digging their own grave. That is fitting.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:32 PM

All replies

• .Net w/o XAML is not going away.

WinForms/WPF apps aren't going away.

Classic desktop (mouse-first) apps aren't going away.

C++.Net might wane a bit.

I suspect that .net may give way on future generations of Windows Phone too.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:40 PM
  • I don't care if they're going away or not, but where's an option for something else - like C# application without XAML?

To make it clear - I'm talking about the Studio 11 that's included in Windows 8 developer download, there are no options for anything but XAML in it.

In addition, they will go away if Microsoft does, and I don't think their acceptance is wide enough today.

• Edited by namsaray Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:48 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:43 PM
  • The Visual studio Express developer preview is for XAML apps (Metro style apps) only .Craig is right about the fact WinForms etc; aren't going away but they won't the preferred mode of development for Win8.You'll be able to build a C# app without XAML for Win8 using VS10 for the moment and VS11 eventually.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:02 PM
  • but they won't the preferred mode of development for Win8. 

I disagree. For any application that needs tabular list data or denser, classic WinForms, WPF, Silverlight will be preferred. 
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:09 PM