none
Kinect v2 in the browser RRS feed

• Question

• We're developing an online platform with games and rehabilitation apps with the Microsoft Kinect.

To make this work we extended the Kinect1.8.0.js and used the WebserverBasics-WPF from SDK 1.8. We have "simple" HTML5 / JS apps and Unity games.

Unfortunately, the new Kinect One v2.0 SDK toolkit doens't have a webserverbasics sample in it. Since we were participating in the closed beta for the Kinect One, we tried converting the 1.8 Webserver to make use of the Kinect v2 but we were unable to make this work. Until now, I also haven't found a real solution to this yet on the forums.

The 2.0 SDK does have a Unity plugin with works perfectly for the editor and Native platforms but this doesn't work in the Unity Web Player due to security issues.

I've read solutions to develop Store apps with WinJS but since we have a web platform I don't see how this can work for us (we don't want to bother users with updates of the platform and they access the platform simply via an url).

We created a custom NPAPI browserplugin before but since this is no longer supported by the end of 2014, we tossed it away.

What can we expect in the future? Kinect 2.0 Unity Web player support? Kinect 2.0 Webserver?

Any help is very much appreciated! Also other options that can help us!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I started this topic in the Jump Start session and posted in this forum a couple of days later. Carmine from Microsoft replied about Javascript support in Store apps.

Later, another user posted about this issue and Ben Lower, also from Microsoft told maybe they would consider porting Webserver to SDK 2.0.

There is no more news about it, but maybe if we get efforts "concentrated" in less forum posts rather than "scattered" we can get better support.

I think you have pointed something important: porting Webserver app to work with SDK 2.0 is far from trivial, especially for a development group focused in Javascript front ends.

I'm sorry I cannot offer any more help.

Regards

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I started this topic in the Jump Start session and posted in this forum a couple of days later. Carmine from Microsoft replied about Javascript support in Store apps.

Later, another user posted about this issue and Ben Lower, also from Microsoft told maybe they would consider porting Webserver to SDK 2.0.

There is no more news about it, but maybe if we get efforts "concentrated" in less forum posts rather than "scattered" we can get better support.

I think you have pointed something important: porting Webserver app to work with SDK 2.0 is far from trivial, especially for a development group focused in Javascript front ends.

I'm sorry I cannot offer any more help.

Regards

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I indeed read the two posts you mentioned but it wasn't completely clear for me. We're all developing different kinds of applications but I think the important thing we have in common is that we all rely greatly on the Kinect 2.0 WebServer.

I sincerely hope Microsoft does something with this since we can't be the only three persons that deal with this issue.

Currently we are thinking of investing a lot of time and money in developing a Kinect One compatible WebServer ourselves. But the thing is, if Microsoft decides they DO publish a new version of it, we've done all the work for nothing. So it would be really helpful if they give a clear decision on it.

One thing noticeable is: in the "Programming Kinect for Windows v2 Jump Start" video, they say: "adjusting from API v1 to API v2 is possible, some did it in a few hours till a day". Well, I'd really like to speak to the developers who succeeded in that!

Kind Regards,

Mark

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 12:03 PM
  • I'm sorry I can't give you a clear decision point yet. We are not shipping the web server at v2.0 launch but are indeed considering porting it at some point in the future. Two questions for you:

1) I know there are many possible reasons for this, so why specifically is the Windows Store JavaScript API support not enough for your specific scenario? These kinds of datapoints are useful for us.

2) How urgent is your need for this (timeline)?

Thanks!

Eddy

I'm here to help

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Hi Eddy,

1) We don't have any experience developing Store apps in our company. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't possible to use the WinJS API in the browser right? I briefly looked into this but the syntax wasn't completely the same as we are used to developing web-based products. The strong point of our product is that it's a web-platform (.NET/MVC with Umbraco CMS) that all of our users can access by simply going to our website (not available for public yet) and they need to have a Kinect of course. On this platform we already have a lot of rehabilitation and healthcare apps (plain HTML5/JS and Unity apps) that make use of the Kinect.

If we need to port our platform to a Windows Store app, we can throw away this mostly already developed platform and we loose our key point that is differentiating us from other products. Besides this, we already have some paying pilot customers, that have signed for what they will receive.

2) We'd rather have it done yesterday, if you know what I mean. But since this is irrational, we'd definitely like to have it up and running by the 1st of September 2014 (pilot start for paying customers). 

If I'm wrong about the way I look at Windows Store apps, please correct me since I don't know much about it.

Kind regards,

Mark

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:27 AM
  • The Kinect Windows runtime components are for Windows Store apps. I don't know if there is a way for WinJS browser apps to load these extensions.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Hi Eddy, 

As we have already working version 1.8 with webserver version and have some function and now we are planing to expanding it with 2.0 so microsoft lunch 2.0 the default we expected 2.0 support as well. 

So now is there any idea when can we get 2.0 version support or any way where we can expand 1.8 webserver to 2.0 compatible.

Thanks,

Amit Patel

Friday, September 12, 2014 6:03 AM
  • At this point I managed to port the 1.8 server to 2.0 myself. For now only the bodyframesource works but I'm still expanding it with hopefully all the Kinect streams in the near future.
    Friday, September 12, 2014 7:54 AM
  • if you could share your extended server that would be helpful for everyone around here 
    Thanks
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:06 PM