VB 2005 Express Newbie Question RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to quickly create a simple program in a networked environment. I haven't actively played with VB since version 2.x. Does the VB 2005 Express Edition come with some type of compiler? Or do I have to distribute the code with a runtime (like in the old days)?

TIA

Saturday, April 7, 2007 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Excuse me,... I confused you...

You ever have the EXE file. It's the Assembly of your solution.

FX is the framework .NET, it has to be installed on the machine where you'd like run your app.

To develop and deploy app you've just to write your software in VS2005... build the solution (compiling the EXE file) and then copy the files from the bin folder of your solution into the target machine.

Preserequisite is the Framework, the redistributable version is linked above.

Dario

Monday, April 9, 2007 10:08 AM
  • Cool. Thanks for your help. I download VB 2005 EE this weekend and started playing. VERY COOL!

Monday, April 9, 2007 9:36 PM

All replies

• you have to distribuite the FX and simply copy your bin folder if you need an easy way to distribuite your app.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

if you'd like a setup well it very simple yuo have just to set FX like prerequisite downlodable from your setup folder and build you setup solution

If you'd like to build a setup package with third parties components just add the FX installation.

Dario

Saturday, April 7, 2007 9:01 AM
  • So then I was correct. It compiles to a .FX file not a .EXE file. Did I understand that correctly? And I have to redistribute .Net 2.0 for the .FX file to work. Correct?

If I wanted to compile direct to a stand alone .EXE file what would I need to buy or do?

Thx.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Excuse me,... I confused you...

You ever have the EXE file. It's the Assembly of your solution.

FX is the framework .NET, it has to be installed on the machine where you'd like run your app.

To develop and deploy app you've just to write your software in VS2005... build the solution (compiling the EXE file) and then copy the files from the bin folder of your solution into the target machine.

Preserequisite is the Framework, the redistributable version is linked above.

Dario

Monday, April 9, 2007 10:08 AM
  • Cool. Thanks for your help. I download VB 2005 EE this weekend and started playing. VERY COOL!

Monday, April 9, 2007 9:36 PM