Kinect Speech & External Microphone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working with Kinect SDK 1.5 (Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2010 Express).

I started to build an application to give audio commands through my external microphone. It works perfect with SpeechRecognitionEngine!

Now I have a kinect, and I want to implement the deepth sensor in same project. (Requirement: Because only if the kinect registrates that someone is in the room, he only should accept the voice command ;-) ) <- just an example...

My problem now is:

Exactly from this moment I start the kinectsensor:

foreach (var potentialSensor in KinectSensor.KinectSensors)
                {                
                    if (potentialSensor.Status == KinectStatus.Connected)
                    {
                        this.sensor = potentialSensor;                    
                        break;
                    }
                }

if (null != this.sensor)
                {
                        this.sensor.DepthStream.Enable(DepthImageFormat.Resolution640x480Fps30);
                        this.depthPixels = new short[this.sensor.DepthStream.FramePixelDataLength];
                        this.sensor.DepthFrameReady += this.SensorDepthFrameReady;

// Start the sensor!
                    try
                    {
                        this.sensor.Start();
                    }
                    catch (Exception ex)
                    {
                        this.sensor = null;
                    }
                }

the application doesn't react to my voice commands any more like before!

If I deactivate the code where the sensors will be started, everything is fine again.

My Assumption:

The Kinect has his own microphone. Then if I start the kinect, the external microphone will be deactivated and the kinect microphone will be activated. Ist this possible? What can I do? Anyone an idea?

That did not help:

- Deactivating audio stream of kinect in "Record devices" of windows (Kinect Microphone array)

- potentialSensor.AudioSource.Stop();

My Question:

Is it possible to deactivate the audio-source from Kinect? So the SpeechRecognitionEngine does use the external microphone?

Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:28 PM

Answers

• Speech Recognition with the Kinect SDK uses the Kinect microphone array only - it is not possible to use that SDK for other microphones. To learn how to initiate the Kinect sensor, take a look at the demo apps in the Kinect SDK.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:53 AM

All replies

• Or is it possible to activate !only! Depthframe-sensor?
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Speech Recognition with the Kinect SDK uses the Kinect microphone array only - it is not possible to use that SDK for other microphones. To learn how to initiate the Kinect sensor, take a look at the demo apps in the Kinect SDK.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:53 AM