Best Book For Windows Programming RRS feed

• Question

• I have Petzold's Fifth Edition of Programming Windows, but it is of course outdated in a lot of its implementation.

Soooo... what books would anyone recommend for up-to-date Winows programming?

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:25 PM

Answers

• Windows programming is a broad topic, you do windows programming in many approaches, such as:
    1. win32 approach: I think Charles Petzold's Programming Windows is still the definitive book in this area.
    2. MFC approach:  MSDN articles (it is the most up-to-date source of materials) or Programming Windows With MFC by Jeff Prosise.
    3. Windows Forms: MSDN articles or Programming Microsoft Windows Forms by Charles Petzolds
    4. WPF: MSDN articles

As to the most up-to-date windows programming, I think WPF is the answer. But I think Windows Forms is still the main stream tech. at the moment.

hope it makes sense
    rico
    Friday, January 18, 2008 9:50 AM

All replies

• Windows programming is a broad topic, you do windows programming in many approaches, such as:
    1. win32 approach: I think Charles Petzold's Programming Windows is still the definitive book in this area.
    2. MFC approach:  MSDN articles (it is the most up-to-date source of materials) or Programming Windows With MFC by Jeff Prosise.
    3. Windows Forms: MSDN articles or Programming Microsoft Windows Forms by Charles Petzolds
    4. WPF: MSDN articles

As to the most up-to-date windows programming, I think WPF is the answer. But I think Windows Forms is still the main stream tech. at the moment.

hope it makes sense
    rico
    Friday, January 18, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Thanks so much, Rico. That information is extremely helpful.

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:47 PM