remote debuging

Question

• Is there any way to debug with a wired connection, because for some reason my retail Windows 8 Tablet 'sometimes' appears on the network and sometimes does not
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Remote debugging could be enabled through wired connection.

To perform remote debugging using a direct Ethernet connection, you will also need the following items:

• USB 2.0 hub, externally powered.
    • USB to Ethernet NIC.
    • Ethernet cable.

Follow these steps to establish the direct connection:

1. Connect the USB hub to the Windows 8 tablet.
    2. Connect the USB to Ethernet NIC to the USB hub.
    3. Connect the USB to Ethernet NIC to the debugging computer with the Ethernet cable.

The Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8 remote debugger should be installed on the Windows 8 tablet.

The build of Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 must match the build of the remote debugger installed on the Windows 8 tablet.

Both of these tools must also be matched with the version and build of Windows 8 installed on the Windows 8 tablet.

Then you can open Visual Studio 2012 and config remote debugging setting to start remote debugging.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Remote debugging could be enabled through wired connection.

To perform remote debugging using a direct Ethernet connection, you will also need the following items:

• USB 2.0 hub, externally powered.
    • USB to Ethernet NIC.
    • Ethernet cable.

Follow these steps to establish the direct connection:

1. Connect the USB hub to the Windows 8 tablet.
    2. Connect the USB to Ethernet NIC to the USB hub.
    3. Connect the USB to Ethernet NIC to the debugging computer with the Ethernet cable.

The Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8 remote debugger should be installed on the Windows 8 tablet.

The build of Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 must match the build of the remote debugger installed on the Windows 8 tablet.

Both of these tools must also be matched with the version and build of Windows 8 installed on the Windows 8 tablet.

Then you can open Visual Studio 2012 and config remote debugging setting to start remote debugging.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:23 AM
  • Tx for that info Robin,

Is there a reason why MSFT did not enable debugging the same was as Windows Phone

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hi

I'm trying to do the same thing, and having trouble.

I'm running Windows 8 64 bit on the machine I'm developing on, and the tablet I want to debug to is running 32 bit does this prevent me from being able to?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:03 PM