Office Online vs Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to integrate with either Office Online or Office 365 so that I could list my folders/documents inside a custom MVC 5 Web app.

I read a bit online and noticed there are 2 things: Office Online and Office 365.

My questions are:

1- Office Online is what we get with a free account on one drive or outlook.com?

2- Office 365 is the paid one?

3- To integrate with Office 365, we use the Office 365 API?

4- To integrate with Office Online we use WOPI?

Your feedback will help me on how to go on with this integration.

Thanks a lot

Sunday, April 16, 2017 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hi DrcGreece,

>> you had mentioned that,"I read a bit online and noticed there are 2 things: Office Online and Office 365."

there is one another thing MS Office only (Office 2016). which simply let you to use MS Office Applications on your machine (without providing the features like Office 365).

Reference:

both MS Office products are paid and need to be purchased to use it.

MS Office online free version let you to use limited functionality.

if you have Office 365 product then you can use all the features of online versions like sharepoint etc.

>> you had asked,"I need to integrate with either Office Online or Office 365 so that I could list my folders/documents inside a custom MVC 5 Web app."

first of all you cannot integrate any MS Office product in to your application.

you can automate these applications for better user experience and reduce the manual work. (like you can create and manipulate the office documents and edit or modify it using code.)

to automate the office products there are different object models are available for each application.

one way is to use VBA Object model.

you can add code in document it self, create an addin.

you can also do coding in C# and VB in visual studio using Office Interop.

for office online you can use JavaScript object model for develop and app for office.

you said you are developing MVC Application and want to integrate office.

I don't know how you want to integrate. but as I mentioned before. you can try to automate the office applications but you can not integrate whole office applications in your app.

if you are working with server then it is not recommended to use Office.interop as it will not work correctly with server. in that case you can use Open XML as an alternative to automate office from server side.

so at present from your description , it looks like you have a basic knowledge regarding MS Office. to fulfill your requirement you need to refer the above mentioned links and decide what can work for you if possible.

for information regarding WOPI protocol you can refer links below.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Thanks for your assistance.

Let me explain more my requirements. I need to allow users of my app to upload office and PDF documents. They might need to organize their documents with folders, etc.

Then, when they need to edit their office documents to be able to open that document in the free version of office online to edit the word document, excel, etc.

So it is more like a File Manager as they don't need to use any of OneDrive, DropBox, etc.

So I thought I might let them use their own file manager at the same time provide them with an experience to edit the office documents online since office online is free.

does that help more in understanding what I am after?

so In my ASP.NET app, they would create folders, upload documents, etc. The time they click any of the office documents the app will let them open the document in Office online to edit, etc.

In this case, what's the best API or component to use to allow the above?

Thanks

• Edited by DrcGreece Monday, April 17, 2017 10:05 AM removed some tags
    Monday, April 17, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi DrcGreece,

currently Microsoft does not provide any Api that can open and modify the office files in MS Online.

so there is no way to open your documents from your Asp.net app without using one drive.

I try to find third party Api that can help you to solve your issue.

I find one below.

C# Word - Create Online Word Viewer in C#

still it just let you to open the documents.

Note :- it will not open the documents in Word Online. it have it's own interface with very limited features.

also it's a paid Api. so you need to purchase to use it.

but I don't suggest you to use this Api as it is paid and also does not provide good features.

As I informed you before, you can create , modify office files programmatically but you cannot integrate Office Online in your Web App.

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:05 AM