StackExchange design? RRS feed

• General discussion

• It looks like this new redesign is influenced by the StackExchange sites. More of a focus on Q&A of current topics, and less actual discussion with long-lived forum threads. 

I have nothing against that format, and frequently peruse ServerFault and StackOverflow. However, I don't think it's right to call it a "forum." A forum implies the ability to browse threads, have discussions, and keep track of the threads you've participated in. 

The Q&A style is more suited for seeing what's going on right now at this very minute. See a question, answer it, move on. The old TechNet forums were a good mesh of Q&A and traditional forums. I am quite jarred with this new design, and especially the lack of basic features needed by both Q&A and forum software.

I posted in a thread earlier today. I see it cropping up in the list of current topics, but I have no idea who the last post was or if there was a new post. Kind of annoying, and this is certainly pushing me away from these forums. Even though I'm not a contributor, I have asked some questions and received some great answers. I also enjoy(ed) browsing the forums looking at questions that interested me.

Maybe I won't be doing that as often (or at all) anymore. 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:46 PM

All replies

• This "upgrade" was only meant to change the look and feel to make it more "2013 Microsoft", like they did for Office and their other apps, their logos, buttons, graphics, etc.

Functionality is none of their concerns. Don't expect this forum to change again anytime soon.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:53 PM
  • I agree with nullifi that the change feels more like Stack Exchange and less than a forum. The Microsoft forums had a good balance between forums and Q&A.

The default view is just a stream of all questions in order of most recent activity. The user icons and names have moved to the bottom right corner of posts like the SE "signature block"

I think they could have made the UI look more like the new "2013 Microsoft" without copying SE as much as they did. Says to me the MS forums developers spend more time on SE than the MS forums ;)

Just my opinion... 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:56 PM