none
How to add Custom controls in Visual Studio 2015 Blend toolbox(Assets) ?

Question

• Hi,

We have created the custom assembly with some WPF controls. We have to add it into Visual Studio Blendtoolbox (Assets). We can able to add the controls in Visual Studio 2013 blend by adding the assembly path in below registry entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\12.0\Toolbox\WPF\v3.5

Note: Controls are added successfully in Visual Studio 2013 Blend toolbox.

But we can’t able to add controls in Visual Studio 2012 Blend and Visual Studio 2015 Blend by programmatically. But we can able to add controls by adding respective assemblies in Reference Manager by manually.  

Could you please provide suggestions for adding controls programmatically in Visual Studio 2012 and 2015 Blend?

Regards,

Muthusamy P.
    Monday, August 29, 2016 5:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Muthusamy P,

According to your description, you want to add controls to VS Blend programmatically. Please share the clearly mean of add controls to VS Blend programmatically. As my understanding, there are two scenarios to add a user control to Toolbox.

1). We could create a new class and inherit a control such as Button. Then Build the project, the custom button will be added to ToolBox.

2). Another way is developing an extension to create a WPF Toolbox Control. The process of how to create a WPF Toolbox Control through Extensibility project please refer to the following MSDN document:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee712573.aspx

If I misunderstanding your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:09 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

Thanks for your update.

We have already created custom assembly with some controls. We need steps for adding those custom controls into VS 2015 Blend toolbox by programmatically.

In my previous update, I have mentioned that If I give the assembly path in VS 2013 Blend Toolbox registry location, automatically I can get all my controls in VS 2013 Blend toolbox. In order to do the same for VS 2015 blend, I need the registry location for VS 2015 Blend toolbox (Assets). 

Could you please help me with this? 

Regards,

Muthusamy P. 
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Hi Muthusamy P

There are no same keys as you posted in regedit against for VS2015 Blend Toolbox. And they are become the following format:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\14.0\Toolbox\.NETFramework\v4.0\BlendLibraries

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\14.0\Toolbox\.NETFramework\v4.5\BlendLibraries

When I opened the key, we will find the path of BlendLibraries for VS2015 Blend as the following screenshot (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend\.NETFramework\v4.5\Libraries

Another path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend\.NETFramework\v4.0\Libraries ). If I added custom library to these paths. When I start VS2015 Blend and the custom control was added to Textbox successfully.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

I could not able to find the below mentioned registry key. But I have installed Visual Studio 2015 Professional (Update 2) in my machine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\14.0

Could you please help me with this?

Regards,

Muthusamy P.

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Hi Muthusamy P,

We need not to find 14.0, in my side I also not have 14.0. We could use 4.0 and 5.0 Toolbox. Please refer to the following screenshot:

Sincerely,

Oscar

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:40 AM