MS Access Runtime 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a .MDE file. The backend resides on the server, while the front end is on the users' PCs. I installed the Access 2010 runtime on the PC and tried to run the .MDE file, but get the following error:

"The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can opened only if the VBA project is first deleted."

If I click on the OK to delete the VBA, none of the buttons' code execute.

I need to mention that the users are running windows XP and MS Office 2003.

• Moved by Kee Poppy Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:48 AM (From:Visual Basic General)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• I would post your question to the Access for Developers forum, or perhaps a moderator can move it there. This forum is primarily for Visual Basic .NET.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Hi Deon SA,

As for the problem, please take a look at this kb article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533794

which points out that the issues occurs because Access 2010 SP1 uses a newer version of the VBE7.dll file. And it contains the workaround about the problem.

Hope this can help you and just feel free to follow up after you have tried.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Thanks Bruce. I followed the instructions as per the kb article, but still get the same message. I also tried loading the 32 and 64-bit Access 2010 Runtime version, but to no avail.

I also converted the 2003 .MDB file version to 2010 .ACCDB version and then compiled the file to a .ACCDE file, but get the same message. I am busy downloading the MS Office SP1 to see if this may solve the issue.

Regards

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

The MS Office 2010 SP1 did not do the trick either.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Hi Deon SA,

Did you also tried using Access 2010 SP1 to create the MDE or ACCDE file? Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

I am running Access 2010 SP1 32-bit. This does not seem to be the problem. If I get this sorted, I will post it here with the solution.

Maybe you can help with another problem I am experiencing:

I frequently get the message "Microsoft Access has stopped working..." I have tried all of the solutions given by Microsoft as well as some advice given by other users, but still have the same problem. Each time I get this message, I have to run the command "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE" /decompile "c:\sanet\sanet.accdb"" to be able to work on the database again.

Maybe you have a solution?

Regards

Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Important: Does this also happen with the FULL VERSION ?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Hi Syswizard,

Are you referring to the creation of the MDE file, or the error "Microsoft Access has stopped working..."?

On the issue of the creation of the MDE: no, when I run the MDE or ACCDE file from the full version of Access 2010, it runs fine. It happens when I load the Runtime version and run the MDE or ACCDE. I downloaded the SP1 for Access Runtime, but when I install this, I get a message "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system".

On the issue of the message that Access has stopped working, it now happens with MS Word and Excel as well, but to a lesser extent.

Regards

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:09 PM
  • I was referring to the "stopped working" message.

If it doesn't happen with the full version, then this is a run-time issue.

re: "no products affected..." - you might want to try de-installing the original runtime and installing the SP1 runtime (if it will let you). If it does not, then apparently the SP1 install package has a problem.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Hi, yes it happens with the full version.

I re-installed the runtime and still get the same message.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hi, yes it happens with the full version.

I re-installed the runtime and still get the same message.

Can you isolate where in the application this "stopped working" is occurring ?

That would be very helpful. This is now no longer just a "runtime version" issue.

• Edited by Syswizard Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:06 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Morning,

At first I thought it only happens when I open a database which was created with 2003 version of access (and saved as such) as all my databases were developed with 2003.

I have now crated a database with 2010 version and still I get the message. It happens at different intervals. Sometimes I load the database and I get the message immediatly, before the database loading has completed. Other times it would happen just after opening an object like a form or report.

Regards

Deon

Friday, October 21, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Hi Deon,

>>I frequently get the message "Microsoft Access has stopped working..."

I also encountered the crash of Access 2010 32 bit, I know a thread which involves about this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-access/access-2010-sp1-you-receive-random-crashes-in/d2bf6175-075a-4a12-a2b1-f55d40af271b

Is the scenario in the thread similar with yours?

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

• Edited by Bruce Song Friday, October 21, 2011 9:43 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Bruce - October ends next week.....is this hot fix going to be delayed ?

Are other fixes besides the VBA corruption going into it ?

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

Yes, this is similar what happens. I have to run the decompile command everytime that Access crashes.

Regards

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:42 AM
  • Hi Syswizard,

You can pay attention to the msdn official blog:

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-access/

or you can check the updates via Check for Updates in Access. Because we are in the forum support team, we also do not know about the information. Thank you for your understanding.

@ Deon SA, at present, I am afraid this is just the only workaround to address the problem. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards, 

Bruce Song [MSFT]

• Edited by Bruce Song Monday, October 24, 2011 8:07 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:06 AM