none
3 node sql multisite cluster RRS feed

• Question

• all,

i am testing 3 node multisite sql cluster in a lab, 2 nodes on 1 site and 1 node on another site.

as this is a lab we havent got replicated sans

what we have done is

2 nodes on 1st site - luns presented from san

1 node on second site - manually created the disks (Local) not SAN - replicating exactly the same structure / disk drives letters etc in site 1

to simulate testing, we have manually copied all the sql data from volumes in site A to site B i.e. 3rd node.

do you think this testing would work?

we may have some other things missing , but the basica question is , will / should the above work , as a test ?

would be grateful for any help.... regards

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:49 PM

Answers

• I doubt that this will work. SQL Server Failover Cluster takes a dependency on the cluster disk, so if you don't have that disk available on the node you can't bring the FCI online. You could use a setup of 2 nodes in Failover Cluster Instance config and replicate to the third node using an Availability Group. For that you don't need a shared storage...
    Monday, November 30, 2015 4:35 PM

All replies

• I doubt that this will work. SQL Server Failover Cluster takes a dependency on the cluster disk, so if you don't have that disk available on the node you can't bring the FCI online. You could use a setup of 2 nodes in Failover Cluster Instance config and replicate to the third node using an Availability Group. For that you don't need a shared storage...
    Monday, November 30, 2015 4:35 PM
  • For a SQL Server multi-site cluster solution, storage replication is done by your underlying storage - be it software-based or hardware based. You configure all of the nodes on the 1st site to access the shared storage. You, then replicate that storage to the 2nd site. The cluster sees the replicated storage as if it was a single shared storage subsystem when, in reality, they are two different ones. The storage-level replication will take care of replicating your SQL Server databases - MDF and LDF files - and everything else in the replicated storage.

Refer to this article for a reference architecture design and implementation. While the article is written with Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012 in mind, it still applies to the latest version of Windows Server and SQL Server

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master/Solutions Master
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Learn SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery

Monday, November 30, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Hi David.

thanks for the reply,

AG's could be an option, considering we have 300-400 databases and it doesn't take into account, accounts, jobs etc and they have to created manually there will be a lot of additional work

is MS looking to fix this in next release?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:53 PM