none
can't connect to ftp out of the blue - strange 'Object reference' error showing RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden today I cannot connect to my ftp.

I am using tls/ssl so I connect with ftps://example.com in /public_html folder.  These settings have not changed and I have been using them for quite awhile.

When I try to publish I receive the following error from EW : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This is AFTER my cert shows and allows me to accept it so the connection 'happens', but its like it closes immediately afterwards.  Firewall has been ruled out in case there was some update from Windows I didn't notice.

Aside from that... I can no longer connect with the CuteFTP client either (yes, I know it is old, but so is EW).  As a test I tried connecting with FileZilla and it connected fine.  So, me theory is something changed possibly on the server side of things where these two older clients are getting blocked... old ciphers?

Supposedly on the server side the following is set :

TLS is required with command/data

TLS: 3
    TLSCipherSuite: HIGH:MEDIUM:+TLSv1:!SSLv2:+SSLv3

Any ideas here?

Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:34 PM

All replies

• Talk to your host and ask what they changed with their FTP server.   Nothing changed with EW.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:56 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:56 AM
  • Talk to your host and ask what they changed with their FTP server.   Nothing changed with EW.

Kathleen Wilber

lol - yeah I know nothing has changed with EW.  I figured someone else must have had this happen.  Nothing has changed with the ftp settings on the server.  I was thinking maybe EW uses an old tls/ssl version which might have just happened to be blocked at the actual host with the last few days - not the server side?  Can anyone chime in with the internal settings EW uses for ftps connections as far as tls / ssl goes?
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Talk to your host - something changed, obviously, on their end.  There is no point guessing on what can, or cannot be done about it until you know what it is.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:37 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:36 AM
  • To add to the confusion :

I just used WinSCP and forced the different versions...

tls 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 all connect fine.

ssl 3.0 fails.

Needless to say this makes zero sense that I can login fine with FileZilla and WinSCP, however, all of a sudden the older EW and CuteFTP (version dated 2010) have stopped working all of a sudden.  I do not believe this to be a host issue necessarily as this test shows all three versions of tls are working.

Again, does anyone know what EW is using as far as tls/ssl?

Can someone, possibly a dev, explain the error that is being returned.  The error is being returned by EW so there has to be a background as to why it shows and the underlying meaning there.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:07 AM
  • If your FTP connection stops working, of course it's a host issue.  Nothing changed in EW's ftp client, so it's the other side that changed.  Ask them what changed.  It may be something that simply won't work with EW and CuteFTP.

Kathleen Wilber

Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:35 AM
  • Kathleen,  I appreciate your comments, but I've gotten your point :)  I want more information as I have mentioned already so I have something to 'take' to the provider.  Any provider is just going to test the ftp connection with WinSCP, FileZilla, or any other popular FTP client and it will work fine and blame it on connection settings.

Here is what I am looking for :

Again, does anyone know what EW is using as far as tls/ssl?

Can someone, possibly a dev, explain the error that is being returned.  The error is being returned by EW so there has to be a background as to why it shows and the underlying meaning there.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:52 AM
  • I cannot address your question, but just in case -- you mentioned EW being old. If it happens that you are not using the latest (free) version of EW, you should try it.

Just a shot in the dark.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:55 PM
  • You are not going to get a developer answer here.  This is not a forum where Microsoft answers. This is a user-to-user forum.

I wonder what you think you could do with that information, anyway?  You can't change EW's FTP behavior.

I'll second Clark's point: make sure you are using the latest EW version, which is the final, completely free EW4 version.  That will have all the fixes for EW, and it is the last version of EW.  If any version of EW supports whatever your host has changed, that would be it.  Of course, I have no idea if it contains any FTP changes.

And, finally, " I want more information as I have mentioned already so I have something to 'take' to the provider."   Your provider does not support web development tools.  On the other hand, they are the ones who would know what changes they made to their FTP server between day X and day Y.  Why not ask?

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, October 18, 2015 7:59 PM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Thanks everyone, but I am going to move on elsewhere to try and figure this one out.

Monday, October 19, 2015 5:17 AM