Drawing in a separate thread RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is what I'm trying to accomplish (Windows 8 Store App using C# and XAML):

1. Fill out Canvas with some elements.

2. Spawn a new thread.

3. Animate the elements in Canvas in the thread. Should I use an infinite loop to do that?

4. Terminate the thread when the user presses a button.

The biggest question for me is how to spawn a new thread with an infinite loop in it and at the same time to be responsive to UI.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Leszek

Wiki: wbswiki.com

• Edited by ata6502 Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

it is not a good idea to create a new thread to move your objects because they ar bound to the ui thread. If you would try to manipulate the positon of a element inside the canvas from an other thread, you would have to dispatch back to your ui thread. If I get you right, you try to implement a "gameloop" so you could Loop a Storyboard or  use a timer for this, or use CompositionTarget.Rendering for what you are trying to do. A imho good Silverlight example can be found here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nikola/archive/2009/08/19/exposed-5-methods-to-create-game-loop-which-is-the-best.aspx

Not all Version will work with winrt, but the CompositionTarget.Rendering is  imho the way to go.

lh

• Marked as answer by ata6502 Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it is not a good idea to create a new thread to move your objects because they ar bound to the ui thread. If you would try to manipulate the positon of a element inside the canvas from an other thread, you would have to dispatch back to your ui thread. If I get you right, you try to implement a "gameloop" so you could Loop a Storyboard or  use a timer for this, or use CompositionTarget.Rendering for what you are trying to do. A imho good Silverlight example can be found here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nikola/archive/2009/08/19/exposed-5-methods-to-create-game-loop-which-is-the-best.aspx

Not all Version will work with winrt, but the CompositionTarget.Rendering is  imho the way to go.

lh

• Marked as answer by ata6502 Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Thanks Lars. CompositionTarget.Rendering  is what I was looking for.

Leszek

Wiki: wbswiki.com

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:42 AM