Add Header to global nav RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to have a (non-clickable) header to the global nav, that would then flyout to some pages. Is there any way to do this? I created a header, which shows up in the local navigation, but it doesn't show up in the global.

| header |
               -> |page|
               -> |page|

The header wouldn't have any information on it, which is why I don't want to create a site or page for it. I guess also what I'm wondering is why headers don't show up in the global navigation?

Thanks.
    • Edited by Chris C1 Monday, September 15, 2008 3:40 PM more info
    Monday, September 15, 2008 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are using SharePoint Server 2007, the Global Navigations can be modified in Site Settings > Modify Navigation.

You can create “non-clickable header” by clicking Add Heading and leaving the URL with blank.

About the fly out menus, you can modify the StaticDisplayLevels and MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels properties in the master page with SharePoint Designer 2007.

Here is the code sample in the masterpage for your reference:

<SharePoint:AspMenu ID="CurrentNav" runat="server"

datasourceID="SiteMapDS"

orientation="Vertical"

StaticDisplayLevels="1"

MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="3"

StaticSubMenuIndent="1"

ItemWrap="true"

AccessKey="3"

CssClass="leftNav"

SkipLinkText="<%$Resources:cms,masterpages_skiplinktext%>">

For more information, please refer to:

1.    MOSS Navigation Deep-Dive - Part 1 (http://blogs.msdn.com/ecm/archive/2007/02/10/moss-navigation-deep-dive-part-1.aspx)

2.    MOSS Navigation Deep-Dive - Part 2 (http://blogs.msdn.com/ecm/archive/2007/02/16/moss-navigation-deep-dive-part-2.aspx)

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:14 AM