"Select Related Tables" Question RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Power Pivot user and just started learning Power Query.  I have read only access to our donor management database.  When I connect to the database and select a data table like Constituents (customers), I see the option to "Select Related Tables."  Can you tell me what this function does if I use it?  I assuming that if I select a parent table (Constituents), this function will find the related child tables.
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:50 PM

Answers

• There's no concept of parent and child tables in most of the sources Power Query can access. Assuming it's a SQL backend, Power Query just looks for defined foreign key constraints on the existing fields in a table and follows those to find related tables.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Friday, December 11, 2015 1:00 AM

All replies

• There's no concept of parent and child tables in most of the sources Power Query can access. Assuming it's a SQL backend, Power Query just looks for defined foreign key constraints on the existing fields in a table and follows those to find related tables.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Friday, December 11, 2015 1:00 AM
  • It is not SSAS dimension/cube designer which automatically involve the related tables, it asks you to select the tables which you want to analyze that's it.

Cheers,

Amit Tomar

---------------------------------------------------

Please mark this as answer if it solved your query

Please vote this as helpful if it solved your query

---------------------------------------------------

My Blog My Wiki Page

Friday, December 11, 2015 1:54 AM