Installation, how do I connect to my local SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• When installing the TFS Integration Tool it asks for the server name of my local SQL Server (it's Denali). It has the default instance name so I just enter .\MSSQLSERVER for the server\instance required. But then the install fails with the message "Error connecting to database" and "SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid". How should I specify the local default instance?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:04 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply Bill. I ended up just using the SQLExpress instance which installed ine. I'm sure I tried localhost without success but I didn't try your suggestion of leaving out \MSSQLSERVER so anyone else with the same problem may want to check that out.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:10 PM

All replies

• Try using either "localhost" or the machine name instead of ".".  Others have reported "." not working, and entering the machine name works.  Also, you can probably leave off "\MSSQLSERVER" if that's the default.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Bill. I ended up just using the SQLExpress instance which installed ine. I'm sure I tried localhost without success but I didn't try your suggestion of leaving out \MSSQLSERVER so anyone else with the same problem may want to check that out.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:10 PM