Deploying DirectX app to Acer Iconia tablet throws FileNotFoundException

Question

• With reference to the sample available in the link http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/XAML-SurfaceImageSource-85773f74 I tried to deploy the sample into the Acer Iconia tablet with Windows 8 Single Language installed in it. It worked fine, then I removed the scenarios and attached the respective winmd files. Now the deployment fails with FileNotException being thrown.

PS: The deployment using the winmd files works fine with Microsoft Surface tablet.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:57 AM

Answers

• FileNotFound suggests that some part of the components aren't being included in the deployment package. You can confirm this by creating the package, renaming the appx file to .zip, and then opening it to see what is inside. Make sure that the component winmds, DLLs, and any other essential files (such as Scenario2Componeint\SimplePixelShader.cso and SimpleVertexShader.cso) are included in the package.

If you are deploying the components manually you'll need to copy all of these files into the project and make sure they are all included as content appropriately. Alternatively, you (or your vendor) can create an extension package to set this up more easily. See Distributing a managed Windows Runtime component .

Working on Surface but not on the Atom tablet sounds like there may be a difference in the ARM and in the x86 packages. The ARM project may be set up correctly with all of the files marked as deployable content while the x86 package may not be.

--Rob

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:29 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I don't understand what you are doing.  Please post step by step instructions of what you are doing and how to recreate the issue.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Download the sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/XAML-SurfaceImageSource-85773f74

1.       Deploy the sample to the Acer Iconia tablet with Windows 8 Single Language, which has intel atom processor, this will work fine.
    2.       Two projects named Scenario1Component and Scenario2Component have been attached to the project SurfaceImageSource.
    3.       Unload the projects Scenario1Component and Scenario2Component and remove their reference from the SurfaceImageSource.
    4.       Add winmd references “Scenario1Component.winmd” and “Scenario2Component.winmd” from the location “C#,C++\Debug\Scenario1Component” and “C#,C++\Debug\Scenario2Component” respectively.
    5.       Try deploying the sample to the tablet, FileNotFoundException will be thrown.

PS: When referring to the winmd files, deployment of the project is successful to Microsoft Surface tablet. 

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:47 AM
  • Hi

What Suresh hasn't made clear in his question Jeff is that this issue is not just affecting the Acer Iconia tablet. We have purchased three different tablets and all have the same issue. We purchased a third party control which is unusable because of this issue. The control developers say it is an MS issue, meaning our application development has been on hold for almost 2 months now.

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:31 AM
  • FileNotFound suggests that some part of the components aren't being included in the deployment package. You can confirm this by creating the package, renaming the appx file to .zip, and then opening it to see what is inside. Make sure that the component winmds, DLLs, and any other essential files (such as Scenario2Componeint\SimplePixelShader.cso and SimpleVertexShader.cso) are included in the package.

If you are deploying the components manually you'll need to copy all of these files into the project and make sure they are all included as content appropriately. Alternatively, you (or your vendor) can create an extension package to set this up more easily. See Distributing a managed Windows Runtime component .

Working on Surface but not on the Atom tablet sounds like there may be a difference in the ARM and in the x86 packages. The ARM project may be set up correctly with all of the files marked as deployable content while the x86 package may not be.

--Rob

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:29 AM
    Owner