none
vs05 and vs08 on same machine? RRS feed

• Question

• can i have vs05 with framework2.0 and vs08sp1 with framework 3.5 on the same machine.I have application made in vs05 which i don't want to disturb.
    please guide me in detail.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:51 AM

Answers

• yes. simply install vs2008 and you're done. nothing special to take care of. (btw: you could convert your vs2005 project to vs2008 and still build it against .net 2.0)

WM_HOPETHISHELPS
    -thomas woelfer
    http://www.die.de/blog
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Hi,
    Further more, we no need to care about different versions of .NET Framework in our machine, it is mscoree.dll who helps to select and launch correct CLR version when we start a managed application.
    Supposing there is a managed exe file named app.exe, when compiler compile the exe file, a method stub "JMP _CorExeMain " is embed into app.exe. once the app.exe is launching, this stub tells system to load mscoree.dll and execute its method _CorExeMain , _CorExeMain initiates CLR (mscorwks.dll or mscorsvr.dll), CLR looks for the Main method of app.exe, compile the Main method into native code, and executes Main method of app.exe.
    Although we can have differetn versions of .NET, there are at most two mscoree.dll, one for 32-bit, another for 64-bit; each time we install new .NET version, mscoree.dll will be updated.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Please remember to mark helpful replies as answers and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Monday, November 9, 2009 7:45 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:48 AM

All replies

• yes. simply install vs2008 and you're done. nothing special to take care of. (btw: you could convert your vs2005 project to vs2008 and still build it against .net 2.0)

WM_HOPETHISHELPS
    -thomas woelfer
    http://www.die.de/blog
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Hi,
    Further more, we no need to care about different versions of .NET Framework in our machine, it is mscoree.dll who helps to select and launch correct CLR version when we start a managed application.
    Supposing there is a managed exe file named app.exe, when compiler compile the exe file, a method stub "JMP _CorExeMain " is embed into app.exe. once the app.exe is launching, this stub tells system to load mscoree.dll and execute its method _CorExeMain , _CorExeMain initiates CLR (mscorwks.dll or mscorsvr.dll), CLR looks for the Main method of app.exe, compile the Main method into native code, and executes Main method of app.exe.
    Although we can have differetn versions of .NET, there are at most two mscoree.dll, one for 32-bit, another for 64-bit; each time we install new .NET version, mscoree.dll will be updated.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Please remember to mark helpful replies as answers and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Monday, November 9, 2009 7:45 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:48 AM