none
Auto Username Creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I might be able to create a username automatically that is derived from a persons first/last name?

Example:

Name: John Smith

Username needs to be: jsmith

Anyone know how or if this can be accomplished?

Thursday, February 9, 2017 6:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Assuming "John" is in cell A1 and "Smith" in cell B1 this formula accomplish this.

=CONCAT(LOWER(LEFT(A1,1)),LOWER(B1))

Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Thank you Rick. This worked great! Had to modify a bit, but over all worked perfectly.

=CONCATENATE(LOWER(LEFT(B48,1)), LOWER(E48))

Thank again!

• Marked as answer by rstreets2 Friday, February 10, 2017 1:26 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:32 PM
  • Hi rstreets2,

from your last post , I can see that your issue is solved now.

so please try to mark the suggestion given by iamrick as an answer.

the thread is still open. please take the mark action so that we can close this thread.

if you do not take the marking action then thread will remain open.

if you mark the answer then it will also help others who will have same issue like your in future.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 1:16 AM
  • The CONCATENATE function is replaced by the CONCAT function in Excel 2016, which is what I am using, probably you are using an older version that doesn't support CONCAT.

Just to clarify.

Friday, February 10, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Correct. I am using Excel 2010. I was able to figure out the difference as CONCAT did not work. Thank you again for the assistance. :)
    Friday, February 10, 2017 4:50 PM