none
My VS 2013/2015 .exe programs don't run anymore!?

Question

• I have several programs I have developed under VS 2013 and VS 2015 (both C# and VB).  I run them run as simple .exe files with no dependent .dll's (except the .net framework).  They have all been working perfectly for the last year.  Around November 25, 2015 they stopped working. Meaning when I start them nothing happens except I get the 'waiting' cursor.  I see the Process running for it in the Task Manager, so it is running (in some way).  Also I can not End the Process.  The programs run fine in the Debugger from VS 2015.  And these are programs (the exact same .exe files) that ran fine before November 25, 2015.

I believe it is some Windows Update (I'm running Windows 7) that was installed that is causing the problem.  I can copy the .exe file to my laptop, which is also running Windows 7 but I have not done Windows Updates for 6 months or so, and the programs work perfectly there.

At one point I Restored my system from the oldest restore point I had and the Programs worked again! (briefly....)  at that point I thought possibly it was an issue with VS 2015 or the GitHub extension I had recently installed, so I Uninstalled it, downloaded the latest version of VS 2015 Community with Update 1 in it and at some point updated Windows again (to get the updates back that I lost from the Restore) and now I'm back to where I was, .exe programs hang. And I don't have a restore point to go back far enough like I did before.

How can I track this problem down? I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this.  I do have System Image backups from 6 months ago I could Restore, but then I still don't know what Windows Update or VS update caused or will cause again this problem.

Any ideas at all are appreciated and I can provide any more details that are needed to help.

Thanks!

Curtis

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:23 AM

Answers

• Just to exclude: Recently there are frequent reports about problems with anti-virus (Avast) showing similar symptoms ...

With kind regards

• Marked as answer by curtis56 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:47 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi curtis56,

Please check the installed Updates under Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features. Since this problem occurs after November 25, 2015, please uninstall the updates that installed on or after November 25, 2015 one by one to make sure which update causes this problem.

In addition, the programs run fine in Debugger from VS 2015, please try re-publish this programs with VS2015. Before re-publish, please back up all programs and then clear all this programs on your computer.

You also can run this programs in another computer to check whether this problem is related to computer environment.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:01 AM
  • Thank you Weiwei for your idea.  Do you know if I need to remove the updates from newest going back to Nov. 25th or can I start removing the updates right before Nov 25th and move forward from there?

Also, yes I have re published all the programs under VS 2015 with the same results.  And I have tried the programs (both old and newly published) on my laptop and they all run fine there.  The laptop has was last updated Sept. 17, 2015.

Thanks again!

Curtis

• Edited by curtis56 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:58 PM
  • I have several programs I have developed under VS 2013 and VS 2015 (both C# and VB).  I run them run as simple .exe files with no dependent .dll's (except the .net framework).  They have all been working perfectly for the last year.  Around November 25, 2015 they stopped working. Meaning when I start them nothing happens except I get the 'waiting' cursor.  I see the Process running for it in the Task Manager, so it is running (in some way).  Also I can not End the Process.  The programs run fine in the Debugger from VS 2015.  And these are programs (the exact same .exe files) that ran fine before November 25, 2015.

I believe it is some Windows Update (I'm running Windows 7) that was installed that is causing the problem.  I can copy the .exe file to my laptop, which is also running Windows 7 but I have not done Windows Updates for 6 months or so, and the programs work perfectly there.

At one point I Restored my system from the oldest restore point I had and the Programs worked again! (briefly....)  at that point I thought possibly it was an issue with VS 2015 or the GitHub extension I had recently installed, so I Uninstalled it, downloaded the latest version of VS 2015 Community with Update 1 in it and at some point updated Windows again (to get the updates back that I lost from the Restore) and now I'm back to where I was, .exe programs hang. And I don't have a restore point to go back far enough like I did before.

How can I track this problem down? I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this.  I do have System Image backups from 6 months ago I could Restore, but then I still don't know what Windows Update or VS update caused or will cause again this problem.

Any ideas at all are appreciated and I can provide any more details that are needed to help.

Thanks!

Curtis

Have you considered launching a debug version of the program to reproduce the scenario and then launch VS and attach to the exiting process? Then you could check out the stack and see what is going on. Regardless, the Windows Updates are likely to blame. You could be smart about which ones to uninstall first such as uninstalling new .NET Framework versions, .NET Framework security fixes, .NET updates, .NET service packs that were installed last or installed after the latest date you know the program worked.

• Edited by Joel_Z Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Just to exclude: Recently there are frequent reports about problems with anti-virus (Avast) showing similar symptoms ...

With kind regards

• Marked as answer by curtis56 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:47 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:00 PM
  • MaybeCompletelyW... Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

That was the problem!  I simply turned Avast off and all is working again!  My laptop was not using Avast so that is why it did not have the problem.

Next... find some new anti-virus software to replace Avast.

Thank you again!

Curtis

PS. It sure did cause strange problems... even a simple 'Hello world' program would not run (just hang)  and it created 3 Processes as shown in the Task Manager and I could not End Process on any of them... never had that problem before.

PSS for Avast it is the 'File System Shield' that I turned off that cured the problem. How did you know about this issue with Avast?
    • Edited by curtis56 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:16 PM
  • Ah, heard about it a month ago in 'Visual Studio Diagnostics (Debugger, Profiler, IntelliTrace)' Forum. Also there were some posts in the German ones.
    And thanks for your feedback about 'File System Shield'.

With kind regards

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:26 PM
  • I did find this post in the Avast forum:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179574.0

they solved the problem by updating the version of Avast, I did this too and now all is working  (with the updated Avast and turned on). 

My (bad) version of Avast was 10.4.2233 and I updated to 11.1.2245. 

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction... I was getting desperate!

Curtis

• Edited by curtis56 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:08 PM