none
Extremely slow build times after Update 1

Question

• I have a C++/DirectX game with x86 and ARM versions for Win8 and Win10 and WinPhone. After the update I've noticed a very large increase in the time it takes to build when I am ready to create store packages. Before the update it would take me a couple minutes to build an x86 version and maybe 5 minutes to build an ARM version for any platform. After the update it takes a solid 15 minutes to build any of these versions, whether it's x86 or ARM. When I've got to build 5 separate versions for all platforms it takes over an hour just to build them. Computing power is not the issue, I am using an i7 with 12gb ram, and as I said before this was never happening before the update.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Anybody have any ideas?

Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Nate,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, installing update1 will not cause this problem.

How about building a new create project?  And Check whether takes more time when building in VS2015 update 1 than VS2015.

Please also try the following ways:

1. Please clean the entire solution and delete the *.suo file. Then try to rebuild the entire solution.

2. Try running Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect the building progress (devenv /safemode)

3. Try to restore Visual Studio default settings using this command: “devenv.exe /resetsettings”.

In addition, since it worked well  before installing update1. If above suggestions still no help. I suppose some configuration of the project were changed when installing the Update1.

In this case, I suggest you could create a new empty solution. Then copy the files to the projects then try to build.

Hope that could be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:28 AM
  • The "generating code" step is what takes all the time.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Hi Nate Monster,

>>The "generating code" step is what takes all the time.

Did you mean this line code takes all the time compiling?

I suggest you could set the detailed information in output windows when building.(Tools->Options->Project and solutions->Build and Run)

By the way, to check whether the Update1 cause this problem. I suggest you could manually uninstall the update1 and try it again.

If still no help. If possible, please share a simple to use so that we could troubleshoot it in our sides.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:20 AM
  • I turned on 'Detailed'  and the output certainly showed a lot more for the first few seconds, then reached the same 'Generating Code' line and paused for almost 15 minutes before completing.

........ARM\Release\DeviceResources.obj
    1>         ARM\Release\darksongMain.obj
    1>         ARM\Release\DirectXPage.xaml.obj
    1>         ARM\Release\pch.obj
    1>         ARM\Release\XamlTypeInfo.Impl.g.obj
    1>         C:\projects\DirectXTK\Bin\Windows10\ARM\Release\DirectXTK.lib
    1>         ARM\Release\XamlTypeInfo.g.obj
    1>         Generating code

(15 minute pause after this before completing)

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Hi Nate Monster,

Please try to set the "full optimization" in C/C++ Optimization(Right click the project->Property->C/C++-> Optimization) then build again.

In addition, from the message you offered. I found the code is compiled in release module.

Try to build in Debug module and check the time cost.

Since it worked well before installing update1. To validate whether the Update 1 cause this issue.

Please uninstall the Update1 and try it again. Or change another machine using VS2015 Update1 then try it again.

If we are sure the problem is not in Update1. I think the cause is in your code. If possible, please share us a simple so that we could reproduce it in our sides.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:57 AM
  • This only happens when building a store package (Store > Create App Package). It does not happen when simply using the build command or building and running a either a debug or release version.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:56 AM
  • Hi Nate Monster,

Thanks for your quick response.

>>It does not happen when simply using the build command or building and running a either a debug or release version.

Did you mean the building slowly only occurred for the specified store project?

I suggest you could create a new store project then try to build again.

If it works well for the other store project. I think the cause is probably in your project itself.

By the way. Please uninstall the Update1 and try it again. Or change another machine using VS2015 Update1 then try it again.

Since it worked well before installing update1. Please uninstall update1 to check it.

On the other hand, if possible, please share us a simple so that we could reproduce it in our sides.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Wednesday, February 03, 2016 6:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nate Monster Saturday, February 06, 2016 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:39 AM
  • I uninstalled VS completely and reinstalled. Still has the same issue.

I don't know if I'm being specific enough about the problem, let me explain again. This is a C++/DirectX app. When I run either Debug or Release there are no problems and it's a quick build and run.

However, when I right-click the project, then Store -> Create App Packages the build time is incredibly slow, taking 15-20 minutes for one package.

When I turn on all the build output, everything moves along quickly until I reach these steps:

1>  Generating code
    2>  Finished generating code
    3>  XamlTypeInfo.g.cpp
    4>  Generating code

When it reaches that 4th step of "Generating Code" it takes about 15 minutes to complete. It seems even longer since I started this post. Last night it took around 20 minutes per package, meaning I was sitting around for almost an hour and a half waiting just to build all the packages.

Saturday, February 06, 2016 9:20 PM
  • Hi Nate Monster,

According to your description, this issue occurs when you try create app packages.

Please uninstall the Update 1 to create the app packages as lake’s suggestion. It can help us make sure whether it is caused by Update 1. If uninstall Update 1 and this issue disappear, I suggest you try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

Please create a new project without any custom code and then create an app packages to check whether it also has the same problem.

If the new project also has this issue, please copy the original project content one by one to make sure which file (or which line of code) cause this issue.

After verified and find out which content causes this issue, I suggest you submit this issue to Visual Studio Connect. I think the report export will treat it seriously.

https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 08, 2016 4:41 PM
  • I'm still testing, but the issue appears to be have been caused by having too many hard coded strings within the same function. There seems to be a magic number that once you go over, builds slow to a crawl. I split these strings up into multiple functions and the issue seems to be resolved, although I'm still doing some testing.

A lot of my 'level' content is string based (like an xml file would be) and I have certain level-building functions that build those larger strings from smaller strings. Breaking up these levels into separate functions seems to have brought build speeds back to acceptable levels. I must have added some new content to them around the same time I downloaded update 1, or perhaps update 1 does something different behind the scenes that wasn't being done before, I don't know.

Monday, February 08, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Hi Nate Monster,

I'm glad that you have found out what causes this issue and resolved your problem. Thanks for sharing your solution here.

I think there may be something changed in Update 1. Please read the release information for Update 1 to check whether there has any changes will cause this issue.

In addition, please mark your reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions in future, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:40 AM
  • I have a C++/DirectX game with x86 and ARM versions for Win8 and Win10 and WinPhone. After the update I've noticed a very large increase in the time it takes to build when I am ready to create store packages. Before the update it would take me a couple minutes to build an x86 version and maybe 5 minutes to build an ARM version for any platform. After the update it takes a solid 15 minutes to build any of these versions, whether it's x86 or ARM. When I've got to build 5 separate versions for all platforms it takes over an hour just to build them. Computing power is not the issue, I am using an i7 with 12gb ram, and as I said before this was never happening before the update.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Anybody have any ideas?

I having same issue with huge C# project. i7, 16Gb, SSD. Uses couple minutes to start compilation, with few % CPU load and low disk usage. Was not an issue before update.
    Tuesday, August 01, 2017 10:11 PM