Shutdown button doesn't always shut the system down

Question

• I have been having an unusual problem with the Windows 8 Developer Preview. When I click on the "Shut Down" button, Windows says it is shutting down, but returns to the Start Screen later. To some extent, I can keep using Windows after this, but it only works partially. Some programs are broken or do not function properly, and when I click on Shut Down again, I can turn off the PC sometimes, but other times, nothing happens. Does anyone know why this is?
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:50 PM

Answers

• Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 6:57 PM

All replies

• mt327000,

I am sorry to hear about your issue.  Do you have any open programs when attempting to shut down?

Did this issue start when you installed Windows Developer Preview or has it recently begun?

Did the issue start after the installation of a program of the modification of Windows Developer Preview in some way i.e. a registry modification?

Have you tried a refresh to see if this alleviates your problem?

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:30 PM
  • This issue may be related to having programs open, but I can't remember the exact circumstances right now. Now, I'm faced with the issue that the way Windows 8 hides the desktop might possibly cause users to lose data in hidden programs that are open, given that I can't remember whether I had any programs or Metro apps open at the time. As for when this started happening, it's happened on every Windows 8 installation on that computer, one by itself and one dual-boot after I decided to reinstall Windows Vista. This problem happens virtually every time I try to shut down the computer.

If this helps at all, the PC in question has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ dual-core processor at a speed of 2.1 GHz. The version of Windows used is Windows Developer Preview 32-bit without developer tools.

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:04 PM
  • I have been having an unusual problem with the Windows 8 Developer Preview. When I click on the "Shut Down" button, Windows says it is shutting down, but returns to the Start Screen later. To some extent, I can keep using Windows after this, but it only works partially. Some programs are broken or do not function properly, and when I click on Shut Down again, I can turn off the PC sometimes, but other times, nothing happens. Does anyone know why this is?
    Yes, I would say something very similar to this happened to me. In the end I had to turn off the machine with the power button, which is someting I hate to do.

When Windows 8 started again everything seemed normal.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:34 AM
  • You can Always press Windows + R (run) and type shutdown /s
    That is the way I shut down :)

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Hi mt327000

I have this happen to me as well. I believe it is happening because the new Metro tiles are always running and when we want to exit, too many programs are running and Windows hangs. I know that this is the way Microsoft wants the experience to work, but I feel that they should incorporate the option to close an App if you choose to do so. I had to hit the power button as well and one time it hung up at logging off. This is an Alpha program and I'm sure they will work this issue out. I will try to contact a someone Monday and ask if there is a way to program a App shutdown instruction to test out my theory. It's a test program so if it breaks, I'll just re-install. I know it's an inconvenience, but being able to use this new Windows 8 Preview is more than worth any bugs it may have. Good luck.

Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 6:57 PM