Is there something like the CameraSettings ActivationKind for audio?

Question

• My devices have very rich audio configuration and I'll love to provide a streamlined configuration for choosing them in the "player" experience. Is there something like that or plans to include something like that? BTW, it would be cool to have Settings as ActivationKind, with "camera", "audio", "video" as well-known strings, so you can declare that you support settings, along with any one of those. Then the experience may be extended when new settings kinds are discovered.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Joaquin,

Thank you very much for this feedback. I think that the Sonos scenario can be handled by our "PlayTo" features. That said I can see that it would be nice to surface certain special audio features in the Metro UI. I will certainly pass this idea along.

Thanks much,

James

James Windows Media SDK Technologies Microsoft Developer Services http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:39 AM

All replies

• Joaquin,

What type of “rich audio configuration” does your device offer? Do these additional settings need to be accessed from the Metro environment or are they handled more appropriately in the control panel? If you can give me a strong business justification for such a feature I can put in a feature request. At this time I just don’t see the need for such a feature in the Metro environment.

Thanks,

James
    Windows Media SDK Technologies
    Microsoft Developer Services
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:21 AM
  • It's just simple EQ and Balance, but I think that it could benefit something like Sonos configuration too (that is, which speakers in the house/office play what I'm streaming from my win8 tablet). My scenario is: I'm playing music in the Metro Media Player and I want to change the sound-scheme, I'd rather do it in app (like most everything else in Win8) than having to move to the control panel (where it's also not as discoverable). It's basically the same situation with the camera: if you need to change image quality, you need to do it looking at the image. Granted, I can still hear sound after leaving the app playing it, but I still it makes more sense to have an integrated experience.

Thanks,

J

BTW, sorry for the late response. The alert didn't seem to work :S.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hello Joaquin,

Thank you very much for this feedback. I think that the Sonos scenario can be handled by our "PlayTo" features. That said I can see that it would be nice to surface certain special audio features in the Metro UI. I will certainly pass this idea along.

Thanks much,

James

James Windows Media SDK Technologies Microsoft Developer Services http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Cool, thanks.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:12 AM
  • What would be nice is a way to know that the application was resumed from the background audio player so I can take the user to our app's audio player page. There is a property called EntryPoint in the app.manifest for audio, but it is not implemented at this time.

ActivationKind.Audio;

• Edited by djalek Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:13 PM typo
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:12 PM