suggestions for good modeling tools RRS feed

• Question

• Hi we run 2014 enterprise.  We use VS 2013 to build our projects.  Can the community tell me what data modeling tool they prefer and why?

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You know when you refine your data model many-to-many should be removed and the “join table” or associative entity should be placed between the entities involve on a many-many relationship. I don’t see the problem here.

About needing SSMS, I always have SSMS on my computer and Express Edition is free.

About the last issue, as I mentioned above, the Overview Windows allows to navigate large models easily.

Try it yourself. The article you mentioned is 5 years old by the way.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, November 27, 2015 6:34 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• see some suggestions here

http://sqlmag.com/sql-server/comparative-review-sizing-data-modeling-software

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:52 PM
  • Here are some options

1.) MS Visio Pro
    2.) ERwin (Computer Associate's)
    3.) Rational Rose
    4.) Data Architech

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:05 PM
  • thx Visakh16.  That is a pretty old article.
    Friday, November 27, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Hello,

I love ER/Studio. It is very intuitive. You can be very productive at the end of one day using it.

I like the ER/Studio editor because you have quick access to all items related to entities and attributes.

The Overview Windows of ER/Studio allows to navigate large models very easy.

You can also create one script DDL or you can create one script per object if you one.

ER/Studio has a Compare/Merge feature that allows comparing a physical model to the actual database.

For more information, access the following URL.

http://www.embarcadero.com/data-modeling

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Thx Alberto, what about Poolet's objections...

There are a few things about ER/Studio that bug me, but not many:

•                               Many-to-many relationships at the logical level are treated as unresolvable, which isn't a true statement. When you migrate a logical model to its physical counterpart in any relational database, the many-to-many relationship resolves to a join table (also called an intersection entity) with foreign key attributes inherited from the two parents. Therefore, the unresolvable assumption that ER/Studio makes at the logical level is erroneous.
    •                               I couldn't connect to a remote SQL Server machine until I had it registered with my local copy of SSMS. This might be problematic for shops in which data modelers aren't allowed or choose not to use SSMS.
    •                               The Zoom In and Zoom Out options don't work correctly. I had to use the Zoom Window to zoom in on artifacts.
    Friday, November 27, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Hello,

You know when you refine your data model many-to-many should be removed and the “join table” or associative entity should be placed between the entities involve on a many-many relationship. I don’t see the problem here.

About needing SSMS, I always have SSMS on my computer and Express Edition is free.

About the last issue, as I mentioned above, the Overview Windows allows to navigate large models easily.

Try it yourself. The article you mentioned is 5 years old by the way.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, November 27, 2015 6:34 PM
    Answerer